586,104 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G-code conversion

Hello,

As you can see I am new to the forums and on top of that, I'm helping a friend out. He is the fabricator, and I am the computer savvy person.
    If you are not into the lengthy posts, you can scroll down to #1.

The setup he is using now is a computer with punchsim on it. So he puts the gcode into that and then the visual of the part will show up in the screen next to it. He then goes over to his Nisshinbo MAP - 500 punch machine and puts the gcode into that (which differs from that of punchsim). He seems to think it uses Amada or Strippit g-code. So he has to enter gcode into two different machines to make a part. To make things worse, he does not know how to "repeat" on the nisshinbo, which means however many parts he needs to make on one sheet of metal is the number of times he types the gcode.

I assumed there was an easier way so that is why I am here.

#1 - I believe I have found a macro to output from CAD software to G-code, am I correct that this is possible? I believe this would be easier for him.

#2 - The research I have done has brought me to post processors, which will convert different languages. Is there any post processor which will take g-code output from punchsim, and convert to the language the nisshinbo map - 500 will use (amada or strippit)?

#3 - From what I understand the g-codes for both softwares are constant, so it would be possible to program a simple converter (A = B, AA = BB etc..). Am I correct in assuming this?

#4 - Am I a complete moron and should begin somewhere else?

Please and thank you for everyone who helps out. I can gladly help in the area of computers if anyone needs it.

Chris

Post CAM software

There are many variables between each of the machines you have listed in your post. I have dealt with all of those machines and understand the g-codes. Are you trying to generate code from a model (some Cad system)? If so you may want to look at some Cam software to generate the code you need specific for you machine.

Take a look around and you will find many recommendations on this site for CAM software it just depends on how much you want to spend. If you need help programming my service can also be used. Or feel free to ask more questions.

Independent CNC Programmer

www.independentcnc.com

My mission is to share CNC programming innovations for a lifetime.