586,096 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Supermax KMC-40 w/MicroPath Series 40 control
Page 4 of 4 234
    How are you trying to set up the DPRAM?
    Do you hava program called Motionexe.exe? Is that what you are using? In motionexe.exe there is an option for setting up the DPRAM address. Let me know if this is how you are try or how you are doing it.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Verell View Post
    I"m assuming that MICRO2 has to be setting up the DPRAM base address at some point, as MPATH2.DAT sets up:
    WX$78A,$000000 <- DPRAM base address.
    WX$78B,$000060 <- NO DPRAM (would be $E0 to enable DPRAM).
    The above assumption and addresses are wrong!!!

Turns out the above addresses are for the VME DP RAM.

The PMAC USER'S GUIDE doesn't give the DP RAM setup for PMAC1s.

The PMAC Dual-Ported RAM User's Manual set me straight.

MPATH2.DAT sets up the DPRAM configuration, so it's stored in FLASH memory & loaded when the board is initialized.

Here's the entire DPRAM related section of MPATH2.DAT:
    ;
    ;The following are VME address setup/DPRAM setup registers
    ;
    WX$783,$000039
    WX$784,$000004
    WX$785,$0000FF
    WX$786,$00000D <- DPRAM base segment address high byte = 0D.
    WX$787,$000007 <- DPRAM base segment address low byte = 00. The least significant hex digit configures the DPRAM(see below).
    WX$788,$000007
    WX$789,$0000A1
    WX$78A,$000000
    WX$78B,$000060
    WX$78C,$000030

So the DPRAM is being configured to start at PC address $D000 which is consistent with CONFIG.SYS.

The low hex digit of X$787 configures & enables the DPRAM:
    Bits 0-3 (first four least significant bits) of PMAC location X:$787 as follows:

Bit 0: DPRAM enable/disable (1=enable, 0=disable)
    Bit 1: 8K RAM (0=8K)
    Bit 2: 24-bit/20 bit addressing enable (1=24 bit, 0=20 bit)

So $7 says: 24 bit addressisng|4K RAM|Enable

Presumably MICRO2 should be trusting the firmware setup and not changing it.

------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to try turning off DPRAM to see if that makes MICRO2 happier.

The following changes should disable DPRAM:
    MICRO2.INI
    ;Machine options
    [Options]
    DualPortRam=no

I can use PE to directly change the firmware so DPRAM isn't enabled. These PMAC commands should do it:

WX$787,$000006
    SAVE
    $$$

MICRO2 GPFs w/o DPRAM!!! My boards are both 8K.

RON22,
    No, I don't have Motionexe.exe. I've been using PE.EXE (PMAC Executive) and MPATH2.DAT to configure the DPRAM.

DEBUG STATUS:
    Apparently MICRO2 requires DPRAM. When I disabled it per the preceding post MICRO2 GPFs immediately on starting up.

Backed the DPRAM disabling changes out of MICRO2.INI & the PMAC locations & MICRO2 is happy, just doesn't enable the servo subsystem & move the machine!!!

Was examining the DPRAM card. U10 is the DPRAM chip. On both my cards it's an IDT 7025 8Kx16 DPRAM chip, so both are 8K boards. BTW, the 4K DPRAM chip is the 7024.

Used PE to change X$787 to $000005 ie: 24bit addressing|8K DPRAM|Enable.
    Saved & verified the change. Then brought up MICRO2: No change.

I'm now totally out of debug ideas!!!

What PMAC card are you using? What DPRAM card?
    Partnumber and serial number.
    It sounds like you issue is the DPRAM communications.
    There is an issue with older DPRAM card and newer PMAC card. I do not know what version off the top of my head.

I have a scanned copy of a YCM-40 supermax manual that I'd be glad to upload if there is a place to do so.
    YCM-40 converted from anilam to Mach3 and lovin it.

cwaugs,
    I don't know of an FTP site you could use.
    I'd be happy to reimburse you for a CD & mailing expenses if you send eMAIL to:
    [email protected]
    Let me know if PayPal is OK.
    Verell

Ron22,
    Here's the info on my cards:
    Currently using:
    PMAC-LITE 56002 602402-101 Opt 4A & Opt 15 V-F converter
    Firmware: V1.16D

DPRAM 602240-101 s/n 7074

Original cards:
    PMAC-LITE 602399-100 s/n 1654
    Firmware: V1.15G

DPRAM 602240-101 s/n 853

Comments:
    Current cards:
    This PMAC-LITE came out of a PMAC-PACK with a 1997 mfg. date. The PMAC-PACK appeared to be new, no signs of it ever being installed.

I'm not positive that 56002 is the current card's s/n. It's printed on the card following the words PMAC-LITE, and is the only number I could find that looked like it might be a s/n.

I have tried both the current and original DPRAM cards with this PMAC-LITE and have not observed any difference.

The current DPRAM card is used, 'pulled from a working machine'.

Original cards:
    This PMAC-LITE was working controlling the machine until I changed the CMOS battery as preventative maintenance.

Unfortunately at that time I didn't know how to save the full configutation info.

When I reinstalled the card the MICRO2 control program loaded the MPATH2.DAT firmware then began giving a HARDWARE FAULT error as soon as it started up.

My assumption is that somehow I touched one of the battery leads to a signal run & damaged a chip.

The issue I was thinking about with the DPRAM cards was with older cards working with newer PMAC's. Your DPRAM card is newer so that should not be an issue.
    Try setting the DPRAM to the defaut of D400
    Comment out htis line in Config.sys
    DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM X=D000-D3FF
    Use PE win and modify MPATH2.DAT for the location.
    Do not try the Micro program
    Then try the DPRAM test. You should be able to pass that test.
    You need to get the DPRAM working before you can get your Micro program to work.
    I am just trying to elminate as much as posible. Once you get it working you can change memory location. Then get EMM386 working again. But first you need the two cards to work together right.

Just thought of something else run Regedit (be carefull you can screw things up)
    Look for the following
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pmac\Device0]

See if there is anything in there for DPRAM. Depending on what version of PEWin and what drivers you have.

This is what an older system should have with ISA card.

"DualPortRam"=dword:000d4000
    "DisableDPRAM"=dword:00000000
    "DisableIRQ"=dword:00000001
    "DualPortRamRot1"=dword:00000400
    "DualPortRamRot2"=dword:00000400
    "DualPortRamRot3"=dword:00000000
    "DualPortRamRot4"=dword:00000000
    "DualPortRamRot5"=dword:00000000
    "DualPortRamRot6"=dword:00000000
    "DualPortRamRot7"=dword:00000000
    "DualPortRamRot8"=dword:00000000
    "DualPortRamVar"=dword:00000d60

This is a newer system with USB
    "DPRAutoActive"=dword:00000001
    "DPRRealtUpdate"=dword:00000014
    "DPRNumMotors"=dword:0000000f
    "DPRNumCoordSys"=dword:00000001
    "DPRBackgUpdate"=dword:00000014

Thanks Ron,

I'll take a look at the registry & see what I can find out from it.

The error I get whenever I try to use PE to enable or test DPRAM is 'Checksum error', not a data comparison error.

Most of I0 thru I10 are NOT being setup by MPATH2.DAT. I'm going to take a look and see just what values are being used, especially for I4.

BTW, did I ever send you a copy of MPATH2.DAT and a download of the PMAC's configuration?

NO LUCK WITH REGISTRY:
    Win3.1 only has a very primitive/minimal registry. regedit just displays recognized file types.
    I used SYSEDIT to look thru the system .INI files, but didn't see anything DPRAM related.

BACK TO BASICS:
    Decided to try DPRAM using all default settings. Did the following to restore the defaults:

Typed the following into PE's terminal window:

I5=0 - Stop program execution.
    $$$*** - Restore RAM with defaults
    SAVE - Write RAM to FLASH
    $$$ - Reload RAM from flash & re-init PMAC.
    RX$786 - display DPRAM base address high byte
    127 = $7F !!! This is the VME not ISA default!
    RX$787 - display DPRAM base address low byte & setup bits
    160 = $A0 the VME default value!

??? Why are VME defaults being loaded instead of ISA defaults? Is this normal?

Opened I value config window to see what the default values were. (See 2nd picture).

Opened DPRAM config window, changed PC BASE ADDRESS to D400, SET 24 BIT ADDRESSING AND 8K size.
    Saved configuration.

Exited config window & examined:
    RX$786
    13 = $00000D
    RX$787
    68 = $000044 Base address was set, low hex digit: 24 bit address|8K DPRAM|NOT endabled.

SAVE
    $$$

Opened DPRAM config window.
    Clicked on [Enable Dual Ported RAM]
    Got the Dual Ported RAM Checksum Error as shown in attached picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000801(800x600).jpg   P1000798.jpg  

I forgot you are using Win3.1. Im kind of at a lose I think something is wrong with the DPRAM. You could call Delta Tau and see if they can help. Just thell them you are using PEwin and get the DPRAM error. If you go into to much they will tell you they are not responsible for 3rd party software. But first you need the DPRAM to work right.

Did you try commenting everyting out ouf Cinfig.sys and Autoexe.bat? Make the computer boot up with as little as needed.

I absolutely agree, I need the PEwin DPRAM tests to work before anything else. Actually I strongly expect that once DPRAM works, the higher level software will work also.

While things are set to defaults, I'm going to swap the other DPRAM card in to see if it makes any difference.

I'll also continuity check the two DPRAM cable sets while I'm at it.

I've been suspecting it's one of the cards for quite a while. Is there any way to definitely tell whether it's the DPRAM vs the PMAC-LITE?

Any chance you have the ability to test the PMAC-LITE & DPRAMS in an ISA machine? At this point I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee for the checks.

If you can't test them, as a DeltaTau distributor, can you eMAIL me a quote for sending in my original PMAC-LITE and DPRAM card to Delta Tau for test & repair?
    My eMAIL is:
    [email protected]

I've got AUTOEXEC.BAT down to things that really shouldn't matter such as setting up the graphics card & mouse. Probably a couple of things I can turn off in CONFIG.SYS tho. Easy enough to try.

However, I really don't think this is a DOS setup problem. After all, the original DPRAM & original PMAC-LITE were running before I tried to change the PMAC's CMOS battery.

Verell,

Sorry I have been busy and not been able to look here lately.
    I sent you a PM.

Any progress?

Ron

re: progress

Hi Ron,
    I'm traveling on vacation till 14 Sep. with intermittent internet access.
    Just before I left I tested another PMAC-LITE & DPRAM with encouraging results. The DPRAM diagnostic test would run & not get the 'DPRAM CHECKSUM' error. It would report 6 to 12 errors in the clipboard tho. I'm somewhat inclined to overlook them. I found that I had to go thru a specific sequence of PEwin commands to get the tests to run.

I'm wondering if I went back & tried that command sequence I'd get similar results with the other board that was supposed to be good.

When I get back I'm going to try loading the mill's MPATH2.DAT firmware & running the windows based MICRO2 application to see if it likes this set of boards better.

I think I've narrowed the Y-axis problem to the servo amplifier, and just picked up 4 of them on eBAY. Theyll be waiting for me to test when I get back.

Only other possibility is the Y-axis servo motor. Any tips on how to check the armature? I've verified that it does have continuity,can't recall the resistance I measured right now tho.

Hey Verell, did you ever got the Y axis going?. I'm looking the same machine as you and thinking of converting it to the Mach3 and Gecko servo controllers.
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

No, got frustrated as I absolutely couldn't get the PMAC firmware to talk to the windows app. The windows APP kept giving me a 'Hardware Error' dialog box.

I finally decided that the MPATH2.DAT firmware from the .ZIP file needed some constant edited in order enable it but didn't have anything to give me a clue what to patch.

I haven't tried to fix the Y-AXIS, but don't believe it would take a lot to get it sorted out. Have been focusing on the main controller problem.

If you've got exactly the same mill, is the controller working, at least enough so the controller talks to the windows app?

If so, I'd like to give you the commands to save the PMAC's current firmware to a file so you could eMAIL it to me. I think that just might get me back to only having a Y-AXIS problem which I"m pretty confident I can sort out, or find someone who can sort it out for me as I have spare servo amps & the mfg will service them for a reasonable fee as well.

Page 4 of 4 234