586,082 active members*
3,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Taig CNC Mill Engraving ?

Ok I have a Taig CNC I was going to sell it I was originally going to use it for pool cue inlays however I am getting out of the cue business and its just going to be an occasional hobby. Anyway my firearms business is keeping me too busy for cues but rather than sell it which I was origianlly I think I may can use it for some gun parts possible. I set it up with a 4th axis gecko 540 controller and 48 v PS 280 oz steppers. Can this setup engrave on metal with accuracy? If so whats the best bits to use. I was thinking if it can engrave in barrels and slides it would be useful. Iwas considering selling and getting a laser machine but it seems it too costly to get a setup capable of those task.

Any suggestion for use in gun business before I decide to get rid of a brand new piece of equipment? I even thought maybe it could cut some barrel comps ect but it would really be neat if it could engrave

Smile

Hey Cat,

Your Taig will work with the smaller version of this spring loaded engraver.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYLtL1R440E"]YouTube - Spring Loaded Engraving Tool for CNC Machine Engraving[/ame]

http://www.2linc.com/products.htm

Jeff...

You can engrave without the spring-loaded attachment though, right?

I was sold on the tool until I saw the price tag. Seems like with a flat part (like a gun slide) and a properly set Z the spring of the spring-loaded tool holder wouldn't be necessary.

Smile

Hirudin

Its not always easy to maintain Z height of a unknown curved or varied surface unless you scan or probe the part first.

The spring loaded collet makes engraving surfaces that are not flat much simpler.

Jeff....

Thank You Jeff thats exactly what I am looking for. Do you think it would be wise to rig up a coolant return system and run cutting fluid or do you think it wouls engrave ok with out use of coolant.

Coolant is going to help keep from re cutting swarf.

You can rig up a tray under the Taig, its not very expensive.

This pump is a super deal!

http://www.surplussales.com/Motors/Motors-7.html

Talking to the company that provides the engraving solution for first hand advise might be the best answer though.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mot-ps7.jpg  

Wow, I have been thinking about engraving my brothers flask for him. My only issue was, I didn't know how make it so that I got the curve down.

Would a spring loaded engraver work in this situation? If it has to much curve, would it cut through the flask?

Very interesting, I would rather make one all together though.

-Jason

Thanks Jeff I may have a perfect recovery pan sitting in the shop. I was goung to make one of my metal band saws wet and had a sheet metal shop make me a pan and never used it

Smile

Jason,

Adjusting the spring tension and feed rate would eliminate punching through the flask.

Test first with a soda or light tin can etc.

Jeff...

Very true Jeff, I would like to design one. Kinda need a lathe though, think i'm going to pick one up in the spring.

So is this something many people do for curved parts that need engraving? Because without a probe...I can't really do anything.

-Jason

Smile

Jason,

As well as the spring loaded device, there are commercial engraving machines for doing mugs and curved products.

See the link below:

http://www.gravograph.com/usa/Engrav...hines/M40G.php

Jeff...

Well next week I am buying my spring loaded tool from http://www.2linc.com does some sort of probing tool need to be purchased to map out part being engraved.

Jeff, do you actually have one of these? Have you used it on curved surfaces?

If so, wouldn't the spring pressure be harder on the surface that was closer to the spindle effectively engrave deeper or is there some sort of special spring that applies the same pressure at all times?

Dave
    Dave->..

Thats what i feel like Dave. How is set so right that the pressure is just correct while maintaining the depth...

-Jason

Dave,

This is not something that spans a three inch gap, the travel is a short.

There are plastic and aluminum depth controlling nose pieces available, they eliminate the variable you are talking about.

http://www.2linc.com/engraving_depth...lling_mini.htm

I do have a spring controlled engraver, its home made and works well.

There are several threads on the Zone that explain the operation etc.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini_nosepieces.jpg  

Wow, for the money they're charging for that thing I can't believe they're using a "rubbing" collar to control depth. I would have thought they had a better solution than that.

As for depth, I never mentioned a 3" inch depth but their little graphic would make a possible customer assume that there would be no issues with depth as they show on their website with it going around a cylinder (click on the pic below to see the animation). They should show an example of that one in real life.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc_engraver_moving.gif  
    Dave->..

Wink

Dave,

The image you posted is almost the exact size of the diameter of the cutter .125 or 1/8 inch, based on that you can imagine the size of the bar its traveling around.

It clearly shows less than .500 or 1/2 inch of travel.

Sorry if it seems like I am telegraphing a attitude, just trying to be descriptive.

It is a very costly tool however you can build one yourself and save big money.

I am not pushing the company or suggesting anyone spend over $300.00
    for this tool.

The technique used is proven and has been used in engraving for many years.

Jeff...

I'm not new to this Jeff, just wanted to understand how they controlled depth and a "rubbing" collar that makes contact with a part or product is just a lousy way to do things. I certainly don't want any material rubbing along a finished piece to control the depth of engraving.

As for you pushing this engraver, I was asking you personally because you recommended it to gunlocaters so I thought you might have had personal experience with it. But since you don't, I won't trouble you with questions about it.

I would, however, be interested in hearing about yours that works well. How do control depth with yours? Any pics?

Thanks again -

Dave
    Dave->..

Please post your ideas on how to improve the engraver.

Dave,

The nylon collar is very good, it works as long as you keep it and the surface clean. Using compressed air or coolant works.

For protecting very sensitive surfaces while using the engraver fitted with a collar we use removable plastic adhesive film or sometimes tape.

Spray on masking is a alternative protective method for complex surfaces.

Nothing is written in stone, please post your ideas on how to improve the engraver.

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Nothing is written in stone, please post your ideas on how to improve the engraver.

Jeff...
    Jeff, have you not been following?

Since you seem to be the voice of experience around here, this is my whole reason of asking you

Dave
    Dave->..

Page 1 of 2 12