586,089 active members*
3,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > THK HSR bearing codes, Factory preload?

THK HSR bearing codes, Factory preload?

I have a HSR35 slide it looks new, slides smoothly, but requires a lot of force. I assume it is preloaded. I have been unable to decipher the options form the THK site. Rail is marked - UGIE5 . Block is marked Y0112. Is it preloaded and can the preload be adjusted or removed?

Thanks,
    Mike

I do not know whether the preload can be changed but I suspect that if you can, it would just be a matter of using different sized balls to achieve higher or lower preload. One thing to try first is press down on the bearing block while sliding it. These rails, especially large ones like yours seem to need some load on them to get them to slide smoothly. Also make sure that the "rubber" seals on the blocks have some lube on them to as sometimes they can stick a bit.

What are you planning to build with those massive rails?

Linear motion

I have a big one by Hiwin, it move and slide easily and smoothly, like no restriction. It is new one. I do not think if it needs preload, it looks like rigid, no side movement while sliding. Block is about 15 cm by 15 cm. Rail is about 8 cm by 8 cm. Thanks. Asuratman.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyMan View Post
    I do not know whether the preload can be changed but I suspect that if you can, it would just be a matter of using different sized balls to achieve higher or lower preload. One thing to try first is press down on the bearing block while sliding it. These rails, especially large ones like yours seem to need some load on them to get them to slide smoothly. Also make sure that the "rubber" seals on the blocks have some lube on them to as sometimes they can stick a bit.

What are you planning to build with those massive rails?
    I will try putting some weight on it. My original thought was to use it as a single rail , single block Z axis on a future gantry style machine. Since the block is ~5 1/2 inches long it should work as well as 2 small blocks. I looked at the specs but did not grasp the true size until it arrived. Now I am thinking of using it as a mini lathe bed or as the vertical on a mill.

Mike