586,076 active members*
4,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Model V8 engine plans required
Page 12 of 27 2101112131422
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejets View Post
    Steve,
    Do you flame harden your cams..??
    I assume that "drill rod" you refer to is the same as we call silver steel here.

No I dont harden anything. I use "silver steel/drill rod for my cams and 12L14 which is a leaded steel for the followers/lifters. The leaded steel wears and lifters can easily be made and replaced.

Hi steve.

Just wondering how the progress is getting on. Havent seen anything from ya in a while

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by 3rnieball View Post
    Just wondering how the progress is getting on. Havent seen anything from ya in a while

Nick
    Hello Nick!

There hasn't been any. I packed up everything and went to the NAMES show last weekend. I still need to unpack but I want to get the garage cleaned up first. Off this week from work so should be making parts by early next week.

if the chart is correct, and the chart was followed correctly, you got a cam shaft with some funny shaped lobes.

All the lobes will now be hand filed so they will have a nice nose radius. The entire process took me a good 5 hours.

I think i'm going to be ok on the plugs. For there size (.020 X .020) the ground straps are pretty strong. It took a little force to bend the little sucker. Now i need to make a little holder to turn the square pieces of corian.

Here is prototype #1.

Sparktacular!

This is the most awesome project I have ever had the pleasure of following. I log in every day to check for new posts and I'm almost giddy when I see new progress pics and details have been posted! Keep it coming! You can add me to the waiting list for plans as well!

Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
    I think i'm going to be ok on the plugs. For there size (.020 X .020) the ground straps are pretty strong. It took a little force to bend the little sucker. Now i need to make a little holder to turn the square pieces of corian.

Your ability to make things that do not exist is refreshing to say the least. I wish i lived by you so i could soak up any knowledge.

Talking Progress?

Hungry for more progress photos....

Quote Originally Posted by harley573 View Post
    Hungry for more progress photos....

Sorry but I have not made much progress. I made the insulators with a sherline CNC lathe. After that we played with the lathe for a week doing basically nothing. Then my mill was giving me trouble with a drive or motor so I have been rebuilding my control panel with Gecko drives.

Those plugs look awesome. It'll be interesting to see if the Corian gives any problems due to heat...

Quote Originally Posted by harley573 View Post
    Those plugs look awesome. It'll be interesting to see if the Corian gives any problems due to heat...

They won't be any trouble. I have had a set in the V4 for about 2 years now and it still runs just fine.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JRQGPswVA"]YouTube - ‪PeeweeFinished.AVI‬‏[/nomedia]

Well it has been an exhausting week. I had some trouble with the CNC mill. The Z axis would work fine for hours and all of a sudden it would skip steps. I think I narrowed it down to the drive. I rebuilt the control panel to include 3 Gecko drives and new 570oz motors. The machine now moves around so fast it's scary.

Now I should be able to get back to building engines!!!

Just a mini update. I spent some time filing the nose radius on the lobes of the camshaft. After the shaft was looking good, the hole in the center of the distributor drive gear was rebored to fit on the shaft.

Then with a bit of loc-tite, It gets pressed onto the camshaft.

Scratch camshaft off the list. The distributor gear has been turned to accept the bearing.

Then the bearing was pressed onto the gear

Yet another collet was made to rework the cam gear.

And the shaft is completed other than a few lobes that need just a bit more filing.

Man, i think i speak for everyone when I say you keep blowing us away! haha Awesome job!!

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Man, i think i speak for everyone when I say you keep blowing us away! haha Awesome job!!

Kind of you to say, Thank you!

Went ahead and put some valves in 2 of the heads. I found that about half of the valves had the groove cut to big and the clip would not seat into the retainer. I chucked them back into the collet and cut the grooves .002 deeper and they went together like they should.

Then I decided to install the rocker studs more perminent. They had been screwed in finger tight forever.

With the heads being done I nailed down my finished push rod length. I only had enough rod to make 12 rods but that will be fixed tomorrow.

Then a set of rockers were assembled and put into place. Nothing is adjusted with the camshaft not properly timed yet.

I need to get on the distributor soon but I have not had the drive to work in the garage lately

Hi Steve, it looks like your engine will be running soon!

The cylinderhead pictures reminds me I wanted to ask what compression ratio you are running?

Also, the wedge combustion chamber design suggests the piston crowns might require clearance cuts for the valves to open fully without risk of contact - is that correct?

Page 12 of 27 2101112131422