586,119 active members*
3,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > need scheme of building the simple metall cutter

need scheme of building the simple metall cutter

need audocad or solid work file, or good photos.
    the guillotine cutter like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-2525-1233665862.jpg   post-2525-1233665885.jpg  

Hi sochi2018, I just happen to have a guillotine like that one that was also home made.

It's a little different in the construction, but will cut 2mm mild sheet steel at about 400mm wide, so if you're looking for a design for a home built guillotine that will shear sheet steel etc without curling the metal edges then I could let you have a photo or two.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi sochi2018, I just happen to have a guillotine like that one that was also home made.
    Ian, thanks. If you can, please send the photo.

Hi sochi2018, sorry for the delay, I've been down with the 'flu, and at my age it takes a bit of getting better to get back to the real world.

I bought the guillotine about 10 years ago from some guy to do a job and although it appears to be a bit rough it cuts clean and flat.

you will notice that the 2 blades are made from a guillotine blade (cut in half) that was salvaged from another machine in some scrap yard somewhere, so if you are planning to make your own you'd best make sure that you can make or get the blades for the purpose.

The moving blade is pivoted high, and positioned so that when the left side just touches the bottom blade, the right side is about 2 mm up, which will give you the same effect as a blade moving in a vertical plane on a normal guillotine with the angled shear face, very necessary to ensure a flat cut off edge.

This is totally differen to the action of a bench shear that has the blades at about a 20 degree angle to each other and makes the material curl as it cuts.

I use a 2 metre long pipe on the handle to get the leverage, and with the body of the guillotine bolted down to a steel table, it will cut 2mm steel plate like butter, and with a nice flat edge.

I drilled and tapped two holes in the base to mount a guide so that accurate angle cuts and squares could be made.

There is adjustment here and there to ensure that the blades have minimum clearance on the shear faces, so that the cut is clean and without a burred edge.

The body was made from a large piece of channel iron, all welded together, and the photos will give you some idea of the construction.

The size is about 400mm wide between the faces, so you should be able to scale the "machine" to suit your own needs.

Although it looks a bit agricultural, it is quite a simple design, and if you lived near here you could have it for $100 as I'm getting rid of it soon.

I hope this is of some help to you.
    Ian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1137-A.jpg   DSCF1138-A.jpg   DSCF1139-A.jpg   DSCF1140-A.jpg  

DSCF1141-A.jpg   DSCF1142.-A jpg.jpg   DSCF1143-A.jpg