586,089 active members*
3,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Feed rate override and Dry run not working

Question Feed rate override and Dry run not working

Hello Friends,

Today was the first time I have been able to set up and run my machine. I have been working on getting it running for a few months. It was pretty cool making a part in my garage.

Anyway the machine is a 1984 Kitamura MyCenter1 with the Fanuc 3M controller. When setting up I noticed I wasn't able to control the feed rate when in JOG mode while cutting jaws. Normally when jogging the feed rate can be controlled with the feed rate override, faster or slower.
    I also tried using the feed rate override while running a program and it didn't slowdown or speed up when turning the knob. This prompted me to try the DRY RUN switch and it didn't work either. I figure they both should be working or Fanuc wouldn't have put them there. I am still learning this older control. Is there a trick or something I need to do to enable them?

Thanks

Look for a button or toggle switch called "OVC". Many machines don't have this switch, but yours might. OVC means "Override Cancel," and it inhibits feedrate override and Dry Run.

You might also have a problem behind the operators panel. If the +24v supply to the panel is lost, then lots of buttons and switches will stop working. Most likely though, if your Jog buttons and other operator panel functions are working, your panel is OK.

Hello Dan,

I have read many of your post replies. You seem to really know your stuff. Anyway I don't see an OVC switch. Many buttons do work, both +- jog buttons, the carousel and CW, CCW spindle buttons. The single block and Op stop toggles work too.

Since these buttons work would this mean the 24 volt supply works? Another question is could there be two 24 volt supplies to the panel and one of them went bad?

Thanks

I don’t know much about the 3 series controls but on the series I work with there are parameter settings to enable/disable these overrides. Do you have the parameter book for the control? I am not sure if they will be parameter settings for you but I use the system variables. On my controls it is #3004=0 to enable feed override and #3004=2 to lock the override.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    I don’t know much about the 3 series controls but on the series I work with there are parameter settings to enable/disable these overrides. Do you have the parameter book for the control? I am not sure if they will be parameter settings for you but I use the system variables. On my controls it is #3004=0 to enable feed override and #3004=2 to lock the override.

Stevo
    Hi Stevo,
    I looked in my parameter book and my parameters don't go that high. I did find a M code that may have something to these button not working.
    M48 = Feed Override Cancel
    M49 = Feed Override Set

I am going to try the M49 tomorrow. I will post my findings

Let us know if that works.

As to the #3004 it will not be listed in your parameter book. At least any books that I have seen. These are common Fanuc system variables. However I don't know if they are for your 3 series control. You will also not have your input/output variables listed in your book either. These are typically set by the MTB and they make there own list of some sort that will got with the machine. However these are usually the first books lost.

Stevo

The 3 series control doesn't have any parameters in that range. It may have parameters from 1000 to 1027 and 2000 to 2127, but those are for pitch error compensation (if you have the option). If the M48/M49 is listed as OverRide Cancel, then it is probably included in the ladder logic that M48 turns on the OVC cancel signal that I mentioned earlier. Instead of a panel switch, H.S. may have just used the M-codes instead. That makes sense.

Well M49 did not work it just froze on the M-code. Any other ideas? I really need to be able to use feed override.

As for the parameters in the machine they are number like this:
    1 thru 239
    300-639
    996-1115

The software version is D65-11. 3M Model C -83.11.18-

I could not remember to have OVC on 3M-C, I used to do it in the ladder. See attached address table, could be useful.

Sorry, the address is 106.4, OVRC
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dry run check diagnostic 20 bit 3
    Feedrate Override diagnostic 0 bit5, 2 bit 0, 2 bit 3, 2 bit 6

Quote Originally Posted by cncdiag View Post
    Dry run check diagnostic 20 bit 3
    Feedrate Override diagnostic 0 bit5, 2 bit 0, 2 bit 3, 2 bit 6
    Hi cncdiag,

Please bear with me. You are asking me to look at DNG#20 and look at the 3rd number to the left, bit 3? There are 8 numbers in DNG#20...

I guess I don't understand. Sorry. I have been making parts for over 20 years but never worked on the machines.

I spoke to the last owner about the override not working. He said 3 or 4 years ago he had a board fixed, which one I don't know, and the parameters reloaded. That is when the feed rate override stopped working. They didn't use the machine very much so he never bothered fixing it.

Any direction to point to? I have all of the books including the electronic schematics. I found the feed rate override in the ladder logic, but I don't understand that either.

Thanks for helping.

Bits run from right to left (76543210). So as you see if they are all 0's except for bit 3 it would look like this 00001000.

Try doing a search in your diagnostic bits. I believe what you need to search for is X020.00. So if you do a search for that "X020.00" or just X20 this i think is were you are suggeted to look. I am not sure for your control.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    Bits run from right to left (76543210). So as you see if they are all 0's except for bit 3 it would look like this 00001000.

Try doing a search in your diagnostic bits. I believe what you need to search for is X020.00. So if you do a search for that "X020.00" or just X20 this i think is were you are suggeted to look. I am not sure for your control.

Stevo
    Thanks for the lesson on bit placement. I am going to take a look now.

Thanks again

I have been trying to understand the information that I have been receiving. I and have been learning somethings too.

I learned that my Dry Run switch does work, but not in rapid mode. Is there a way to find out what my feed rate override is stuck on?

For example if I program a G1 line at F50. where do I look to see if the machine is moving at 50 inches a minute. I am assuming one of the diagnostic numbers but I don't know which one.

f-bu,
    The file you uploaded here, I found in my book. The diagnostic signal details. Your list has DNG# 106 &107 where my book doesn't. My control has all zeros in #106. The information you uploaded for DNG#101, bits 0,1,2, and 3 are override signals. I confirmed this in my book. I also found in my book Parameter #1004 which are for OPG1 through OPG7. All of the descriptions for each of the OPG# have to do with actuating different buttons and switched on the software operator's panel.

anyone,
    Is the software operator's panel the control panel?

OPG#4 is described like this:
    1 Jog feed rate, override, and rapid traverse override switches are actuated with the operator's panel.
    0 The above switches are not actuated with the software operator's panel.

I changed and tried several configurations in parameter #1004 and nothing appeared to change.

Again parameter #1004 is with all zeros and all of the features listed work except the feed overreide switch. Please not that OPG4 is set with a zero. This would tell me that the switches are not actuated on the software operator's panel.

So I am still stuck... Still looking for help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teamjnz View Post
    I have been trying to understand the information that I have been receiving. I and have been learning somethings too.

I learned that my Dry Run switch does work, but not in rapid mode. Is there a way to find out what my feed rate override is stuck on?

For example if I program a G1 line at F50. where do I look to see if the machine is moving at 50 inches a minute. I am assuming one of the diagnostic numbers but I don't know which one.

f-bu,
    The file you uploaded here, I found in my book. The diagnostic signal details. Your list has DNG# 106 &107 where my book doesn't. My control has all zeros in #106. The information you uploaded for DNG#101, bits 0,1,2, and 3 are override signals. I confirmed this in my book. I also found in my book Parameter #1004 which are for OPG1 through OPG7. All of the descriptions for each of the OPG# have to do with actuating different buttons and switched on the software operator's panel.

anyone,
    Is the software operator's panel the control panel?

OPG#4 is described like this:
    1 Jog feed rate, override, and rapid traverse override switches are actuated with the operator's panel.
    0 The above switches are not actuated with the software operator's panel.

I changed and tried several configurations in parameter #1004 and nothing appeared to change.

Again parameter #1004 is with all zeros and all of the features listed work except the feed overreide switch. Please not that OPG4 is set with a zero. This would tell me that the switches are not actuated on the software operator's panel.

So I am still stuck... Still looking for help.

Thanks
    software operator's panel is an OPTION! If not activated, you will no have any change.Software op. panel uses MDI keys for axis, mode buttons etc. Look for OPRT soft key or third push of alarm or offset button.
    Override - the inputs from the rotary switch are trasferred to DGN 101, see picture. If turning the knob input signals are changed, but DGN101 not, than "override cancel" is activated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ovr.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by f-bu View Post
    software operator's panel is an OPTION! If not activated, you will no have any change.Software op. panel uses MDI keys for axis, mode buttons etc. Look for OPRT soft key or third push of alarm or offset button.
    Override - the inputs from the rotary switch are trasferred to DGN 101, see picture. If turning the knob input signals are changed, but DGN101 not, than "override cancel" is activated
    Thanks f-bu,
    I attached a page from my ladder diagrams to confirm the information on your page.

DNG#101 is 00110000. Turning the knob while in a G1 feed command does not change any of the bits in DNG#101.

So I must assume that "override cancel" is activated... So I need to find out how to re-activate the override.

One step closer,
    Thanks again

P.S. I do not have operator soft keys or the 3rd push option for offsets an alarm buttons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DNG.jpg  

#3004 = 0 (execute it in MDI or MEM mode) on Fanuc 0i control would enable feed override.
    But at power ON, its initial value is automatically 0. So, your problem is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by sinha_nsit View Post
    #3004 = 0 (execute it in MDI or MEM mode) on Fanuc 0i control would enable feed override.
    But at power ON, its initial value is automatically 0. So, your problem is something else.
    Thanks for your input. My parameters do not go that high. My Highest parameter is #1115

OK.
    Incidently, #3004 is a system variable, not a parameter.

That seems too easy and $free$, no wonder it doesn't work, FANUC!!! Those darn Parameter lessons, you really need to know which one, but when you get 'em figured out, you'll never need it again, so they are soon forgotten. I know this didn't help, but I really just care that we all have experinced these problems and we all get by just fine eventually.