586,103 active members*
3,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Programexecution stopps

Hi,
    I just go my CNC router up and running. I have used the stepconf wizard to set up EMC2 and now i can jog all axes, and sometimes execute a g-code program.
    Here comes the strange stuff; When I try to run the initial g-code program, the one that is there when you start EMC2 up everything works like a chram. But when i load the 3dpengu (1.st of the example files) it runs for a random time, usually just a second or two before is just stops. EMC2 says stopped in the lower left corner. I thougt this could be a case of interferance on the E-stop circutry so i disabled the E-stop in pin in stepconf. Still the same problem!?? Is there any place i can see what caused EMC2 to stop?
    I can toggle machine power on again and continue for a random period of time.

My second little problem is that i get a error each time i home the axes. limit switch fault. In stepconf I've used the "Both Limit + Home X" should not that take care of the ignore limit when homing on limit switches? I also seems like it is when the axes is done homing that is does trip the limit switch again?
    The axes moves in, trips the limit, moves out again and then two moore rapid mooves that trips the limitswitch?

edit: Figured out the homing problem! It is a case of axes home beeing in
    the same place as the switch trips.
    Home location 370
    Table travel 0 to 370
    Home switch location 370

Guess I'm ok if i change the Home location to 365.

regards Chris

Chris,

I am homing to zero and here is the setup on my ".ini" file using combined home and limit switches. You might check your ini file to see if any of these variables are missing.

[from axis_0]
    HOME_OFFSET = -0.1
    HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -1.500
    HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.250
    HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
    HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
    HOME_SEQUENCE = 1

These tell the machine to move 90 ipm towards home, after hitting home, move off home and move towards it again at 15 ipm, and then to back off the home switch 0.1 inches before setting zero.

[and from traj]
    HOME = 0 0 0

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    Chris,

I am homing to zero and here is the setup on my ".ini" file using combined home and limit switches. You might check your ini file to see if any of these variables are missing.

[from axis_0]
    HOME_OFFSET = -0.1
    HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -1.500
    HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.250
    HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
    HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
    HOME_SEQUENCE = 1

These tell the machine to move 90 ipm towards home, after hitting home, move off home and move towards it again at 15 ipm, and then to back off the home switch 0.1 inches before setting zero.

[and from traj]
    HOME = 0 0 0

Alan
    Thank you Alan,
    I have just used the stepconf wizard but I'll take a look at the ini file as soon as I get home.
    I think i might not have the HOME_OFFSET = -0.1 set in my ini file. Logically i think that would cause the problems I'm having.

regards
    Chris

Hi,
    My question that now remains, said in fewer words, is: How can I in axis see what caused the programexecution to stop? It says stopped in the lower left corner?
    Might be a very stupid question but im very new to linux and EMC2, used it about 10 hours in total. . . But I'm a fast learner!

regards
    chris

If your using the AXIS interface next to the coordinates display you will see a symbol next to the axis that tried to go past the limits or if a limit switch is tripped.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html...is.html#r1_3_3

John

Quote Originally Posted by Big John T View Post
    If your using the AXIS interface next to the coordinates display you will see a symbol next to the axis that tried to go past the limits or if a limit switch is tripped.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html...is.html#r1_3_3

John

I am using Axis and I can see the symbol you are talking about both the Limit symbol and Home symbol. But when the program runns i get non of them, just "STOPPED" is showed in the lower left corner. Then i have to toggle machinepower back on. This happens at a random place in some programs, normaly just after a couple of lines of G-Code.
    The figure under the 1.3.3.6 paragraph the lower left cornes says "ON" in my case it says "STOPPED" but not why!?
    Could a rapid spike on the E-Stop channel cause this?

regards
    chris

Do you have to reset the e-stop and the power or just the power button? I've never seen that my self before so I'm just guessing... What version are you using?

John

Do you have to reset the e-stop and the power or just the power button? I've never seen that my self before so I'm just guessing... What version are you using?

John
    Just the powerbutton. Im running not the latest ubuntu version, Vesion 8.04 did not works very vell on my computer for some reason. I'm using the live CD with verisn 6.06 Dapper Drake.
    I find it rather strange that is say nothing about why it stopps, it would be nice with an error message!

regards
    chris

That has me stumped... why don't you pop over on the IRC and ask that question... Not many EMC folks visit here...

http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/4/8/lang,en/

John

That has me stumped... why don't you pop over on the IRC and ask that question... Not many EMC folks visit here...

http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/4/8/lang,en/

John
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Am I right if i say that interferance on the E-Stop input could cause this? If you press your estop and the release it again does the E-stop in EMC stay activated og does it go just to the power off mode?

regards
    chris

As far as I can remember (I've not paid much attention to it) but the e-stop is a toggle and when you toggle it run drops out and the e-stop stays toggled. I can't check from here as I don't have Linux at work.

John