586,110 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What Machine to Buy??

Hi,
    I am thinking of purchasing my first CNC Lathe. I am considering a HAAS SL30 with live tooling or a Doosan Lynx 220LM with Live tooling. I only do small runs, and both machines are very similar price.
    Can someone please shed some light?

I have no experience with the Doosan, but we do have a Haas SL10. I had never run a cnc lathe before but the control is so easy to use I was able to train myself in just a few weeks. We really like the Haas. Hope this helps.

which dealer is the nearest to you that will make it easy service is key if it takes a tech 1-2 days to get to you, that is time down. i know this will sound stupid but what about a okuma they have a big sale on right now that should put them in the price range.

Haas

I would vote on the Haas..

I have run the sl20 with bar feeder since 1999. In that time...one controller board went out...and one axis motor had to be replaced. Mine has the big bore option...so it is 30 hp...like the standard sl-30. On drilling a 3.5 inch hole in aluminum, it can hold the drive at 180% ...if you want to push it.
    Easy to program...all in all...Been a very good machine for me..

Swain

Thanks for your help guys.
    Both dealers are very close. I decided to buy the Doosan, It offers many more features and is better quality. The Lynx 220 also looks very smart, where as the HAAS looks to have bits bolted on everywhere. The Fanuc conversational control is also fantastic.
    If anyone else is looking for a machine, I recommend you have a look at the Doosan Range.
    Cheers.

Fanuc controls suck bawls. Sorry. I spend all day with one on a Mori. I am so happy to get home to run my Haas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanuc Pilot View Post
    Thanks for your help guys.
    Both dealers are very close. I decided to buy the Doosan, It offers many more features and is better quality. The Lynx 220 also looks very smart, where as the HAAS looks to have bits bolted on everywhere. The Fanuc conversational control is also fantastic.
    If anyone else is looking for a machine, I recommend you have a look at the Doosan Range.
    Cheers.
    I run both the Haas and Fanuc controls, and to be honest I prefer the Haas. On the Haas I don't have to scroll through softkey menus to get where I wan't. Fanuc conversational is ok for simple projects, but for serious work you are gonna need a cam system, and Manual guide i is very buggy. Haas conversational is less buggy, but you would still want a cam system for the Haas for any complex machining. Congrats on your machine selection, over all I have been pleased with both the Haas and Fanuc controls. In the end it really boils down to user preference, they are both fine controls.

The Doosan is probably a superior machine, other than I agree the control is a bit harder to understand. I ran a Daewoo puma next to a HL-2 for years. I liked them both, but the Daewoo was more accurate and easier to setup (the Haas had the older tool holders that you couldn't center, so it made it a pita)

my.02 you done good!
    Tim

I have a Daewoo and had an SL10. Both are 6" machines. The Haas is "claimed" to be a 15hp machine. It's not. The Daewoo is in fact a 20 hp machine. It will run the same program about 30% faster than my SL10.
    My Haas is a lemon but I spent over $15k in repairs in 8 months.
    It just went down the road.
    It's funny, I was so happy when I got it. But I was even happier when that piece of %$$^ left my shop.
    Not brand bashing. I realize full well that mine was a lemon. But Haas refused to step up and fix it. That speaks volumes to me.

It depends how many programs or setting you make every day....if you are not good with fanuc & u have 2 do many programs.then go for HASS.
    Lynx200LM is the most reliable machine. Even i have proved many aerospace critical trunmill components with it.
    I have used Mori NL series also.
    but Lynx220 is the true VFM ...Doosan sold around 1500machines in 2008 (only this Lynx alone.)

Hard to believe

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    But Haas refused to step up and fix it. That speaks volumes to me.
    I really find this hard to believe as I work at the Haas factory and know that Haas will bend over backwards to resolve any issue on a machine.

I have a Daewoo and had an SL10. Both are 6" machines. The Haas is "claimed" to be a 15hp machine. It's not. The Daewoo is in fact a 20 hp machine. It will run the same program about 30% faster than my SL10.
    AKA "Haas Power..."
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

This is well documented with Selway.
    I tried calling the factory and they have never to this day returned a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    I really find this hard to believe as I work at the Haas factory and know that Haas will bend over backwards to resolve any issue on a machine.

This is well documented with Selway.
    I tried calling the factory and they have never to this day returned a call.
    A close friend of mine works for HAAS, and I find your earlier statement a bit hard to believe. These guys have one of the best records for support as far as I have seen. Try calling some of the others.

I know a HAAS is no Mori Seiki, Methods Matsuura, or Enshu, but come-on.

I imagine that experiences with support may vary, but why they would ignore your call completely is confusing. Unless there was maybe a little rudeness. Then I could see someone being ignored.

I hope you have better luck in the future.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I definitely have the opposite view of Haas' service and response. I've called them a bunch over the last 10 years or so and have had reply's/ callbacks/ help/ etc... every time.

Every issue has been resolved for me. I am sorry that it hasn't worked out this way for you.

I can understand your frustration. Sounds like the dealer I bought the wifes car from.
    Tim

As suggested by the HAAS Apps guy here I would give him a call to straighten out those dealers.

There is nothing worse than sitting on a broken machine with no help in site.

Cheers to the HAAS_Apps guy.

If you are on the cheap call the factory and they should be able to help.

If you do not get outstanding customer service please call me Wayne Reilly @ 805-278-8560
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

No kidding...
    Really.
    The entire fiasco is well documented here and on PM. I can assure you that I am just about the most easy going guy you've ever met. I'm not kidding when I tell you that to this day, the calls I've made to the factory service dept have never been returned.
    This was in mid 2006. I had an A axis motor the Selway tech said was burned up. $1200. Factory shipped me a new one alone with a thrust bearing. The motor was loose in a box with two count em two single sheets of bubble wrap and the thin thrust washer in a plastic sandwitch baggie in the box. Bearing was beat to snot.
    As it turned out...the motor was not bad at all. Confirmed by another Haas repair facility. After almost a year of arguing with the repair folks I finally got them to refund my money and sent the motor I never needed back to them. I had to pay shipping both ways.
    In 8 months I spent in excess of $15k in repairs on this machine.
    The bar feed was no better. Never would feed material off the charging tray. You had to manually put a new bar in it.
    I've sent the machine down the road. I have absolutely no reason to lie about what happened to me. I spent a whole lot of money on a not so great machine.
    We won't even go into accuracy issues....
    Or the Z axis servo that go taken out pushing a 1.25 spade drill through a 4140 job....
    My Daewoo runs that job just fine....with no issues.
    But enough of this thread hijack.
    That wasn't my intention.

Well judging by your calm response on this, I would say, "You are a pretty mellow person".

I hope you have better luck in the future with whom ever you deal with.

Not too sure I'd be that mellow, but hats off to you sir.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I agree.
    I sold Haas machines for about a year in 2008. I have been to the factory twice and really think the Oxnard plant is well run. If you have problems with service..... I have to think it was your local HFO. Only time we did not jump on service was when the machine owner did not pay the bills. I am not assuming that was your your situation, but this was the only cases I knew of.
    I do agree, with anything you could get a lemon. For the money, no other machine is better then Haas.

I have a 2006 vf3 mill I have called haas 10 plus times not to buy parts but with small problems or issues on how to do something (fix) or alarms that came up I think they were great cant say enough about them I am in eastern pa mabey this dealer is better than others