586,033 active members*
3,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Are CAT and BT compatible?

Hi all,

We just sold our old Mazak VMC that come with CAT taper, we keep all the tool holders, the new machine -a Hwacheon Sirius UL- could come with BT taper.

Could we use our CAT holders on it?, may be changing the retention knobs?

Thanks in advanced,

-Jorge

Jorge,

The flange portion is different between the two standards..so they will not interchange. As the tool changer retainers would be different. And also the spindle tangs would be different too.

Also a Cat 40 would normally have a Imperial thread for the retaining knob and a BT40 would normally be metric. So probably the retaining knobs from your Cat holder would not fit your BT holders.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Most machines are available tooled for either. My Fadal will use either (as mentioned above the pull studs are different due to the thread in the tooling). However my toolchanger will only use Cat. The retainers in the toolchanger can be changed out easily though and parts can be bought from the manufacturer to do so.
    I would think if you are getting a new machine they would set it up for either to make the sale, and if not, it can be converted to utilize your existing tooling.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca