586,371 active members*
3,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Super Newb

Super Newb

Hi everyone,

My name is Frank,I live in Burlington Ontario.I'm as green as can be when it comes to machining.I have never used a milling machine or a metal lathe but always had an interest in it and never did anything about it till now.Anyhow,I just purchased a new CT129N milling machine from BusyBee and can use a ton of advice.For now,I just want to get to know my mill and learn how to use it and eventually I would like to convert it to CNC.

Can anyone direct me to a source or sources for learning material like DVD's,Tutorials,internet,books,etc on how to set up and use a mill.Also,information on what software is needed to run a CNC mill (mach 3?) and how to get started using it.Finally,sources of any step by step instruction on how to convert a manual mill to cnc,what parts will be needed, how to select the right parts for my mill and where to source them.Any recommendations will be much appreciated.Thanks everyone for reading and I hope my first post isn't too overwhelming.

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CT129N.jpg  

Hi Frank, My name is Dave Kirby, at one time I lived in Burlington and Waterdown but now I am in the Brantford area.
    I am not trained as a machinist, since I am a mechanic, but I own a fair amount of machinery and am mostly self taught, I will try to answer some questions if I can.
    I am not familiar with Busy Bee's mill so maybe you could inform us all as to what the spindle taper is and some other features of the machine, such as the table size and the travels of the x, y, and z axis's.
    This may be a good starter machine for you but down the road as you find the limits of the machine you may find that an up grade to CNC may not be the best for what you have.

I was lucky in that I started with a lathe of fairly good quality,(Standard Modern) that I thought was too big for my intended purposes but turned out over the years to be just right for 75% of what I do, to being too small for the rest.

I also have an Elliott milling machine that I thought was overkill for my needs but after a few years is just right and comfortable for me to use.
    I just purchased a Milltronics CNC machining center last week and I know absolutely nothing about CNC and that is why I am at CNC Zone now.

As far as reading material to try and learn from, there are some that I bought from Busy Bee and KBC Tools. For the first while I spent quite a bit of time at the library, but now I have a computer (another learning experience) and find information readily available. You may want to try going to The Homeshop Machinists web site as they have some forums there that are very informative and they publish machinists mags. for the hobbyists.
    There will probably be someone who will come along later who is much more knowledgeable in what your looking for, but I am close by so if I can help I will.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding to my plea for help.The table size is 20"x7",x-11",y-7",z-15" and it uses an MT3 spindle.I purchased the mill and lathe that I have because it falls within my current budget (the weak economy is hurting me)and figured that they would be good enough for me to get started in my quest for knowledge.I fully expect to upgrade to bigger and better machines at some point in the future once I get a handle on things and I get my shop built.I'll check out the site you mentioned and keep you in mind if I have any other inquiries if that's okay.
    I live immediately south of Clappison's Corners and the bottom of HWY 6.Thanks again.

Frank

Hi Frank,
    Have you tried "youtube" for video's...might get you thinking if you are a visual learner?
    Here is one link that maybe of help?
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&oq=cnc+mill+s

I own the B1977 bench mill from busy bee...I have collected parts to cnc it one day. I also have a few other home-made cnc builds on the go...but now I am married with kids these days my free time for hobbies is nil...
    I work in the industrial maintenance field...I build/repair cnc and automated equipment all day...and do my own service thing at night..
    Feel free to ask away...I'll try to anwser anything I can...there are a lot of smart people on this forum.....you have come to the right place to ask questions...I would just be specific about what you want to know and post it...
    I am up in Georgetown....
    menomana

Small world Frank, my doctor is in Waterdown and when I lived there, it was on Parkside Dr. just up the hill from you. On Dec. 19. I had a Drs. appointment but was stranded at the bottom of Clappisons (snowstorm) probably not too far from your place.

With the spindle being a jacobs taper does it also have a drawbar to hold the tool holder tight?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by trubleshtr View Post
    Hi Frank,
    Have you tried "youtube" for video's...might get you thinking if you are a visual learner?
    Here is one link that maybe of help?
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&oq=cnc+mill+s

I own the B1977 bench mill from busy bee...I have collected parts to cnc it one day. I also have a few other home-made cnc builds on the go...but now I am married with kids these days my free time for hobbies is nil...
    I work in the industrial maintenance field...I build/repair cnc and automated equipment all day...and do my own service thing at night..
    Feel free to ask away...I'll try to anwser anything I can...there are a lot of smart people on this forum.....you have come to the right place to ask questions...I would just be specific about what you want to know and post it...
    I am up in Georgetown....
    Hi trubleshtr,

Thanks for the ideas and yes,visual learning is good.I did spend a bit of time searching youtube,unfortunately though,its easy to get side tracked or drawn away from your original search there.Its also hard to find any sets of videos with any form of operational sequence.Thats why I would prefer text books or DVD's or even sites that are dedicated to teaching the art of machining.I will definitely check out your youtube link though.
    I did see the B1976 and B1977 at BusyBee but they were too big to haul down to my basement.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by dkirby View Post
    Small world Frank, my doctor is in Waterdown and when I lived there, it was on Parkside Dr. just up the hill from you. On Dec. 19. I had a Drs. appointment but was stranded at the bottom of Clappisons (snowstorm) probably not too far from your place.

With the spindle being a jacobs taper does it also have a drawbar to hold the tool holder tight?

Dave
    Dave,the next time you get stuck,give me a scream and I'll drag you up the hill.I have a Diesel Dodge dually 4x4.

My mill does have a drawbar.I actually just finished setting up my mill on its stand about 10 minutes ago,plugged it in to try it out and Nada?!?Thats a bummer.

Frank

Hi Frank. Welcome to the Zone!

See that plastic guard in front? Check to see if it contains a switch that does not allow mill operation unless it is in place.

CR.

Also check the big red Estop button to see if it has been pressed.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Also check the big red Estop button to see if it has been pressed.

CR.

Hi CR,I figured it out.Turned out to be a faulty outlet.Someone removed the tab connecting the upper and lower half of the outlet.Thanks.

Frank

Good! sounds like you are clear for chip-off.

Enjoy!

CR.

Good! sounds like you are clear for chip-off.

Enjoy!

CR.
    Actually,I only have 2 new end mills so far and need to get some other tooling like holders,a clamp kit,vise etc.......then I'll be clear for chip off.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF-RAFF View Post
    Actually,I only have 2 new end mills so far and need to get some other tooling like holders,a clamp kit,vise etc.......then I'll be clear for chip off. Frank
    If you are just starting to buy tooling, I recommend you invest NOW in Tormach Quick Change tooling. You don't HAVE to buy a complete set right away--Just a R8 adapter collet, drill chuck holder (JT number on your chuck--beat out old arbor) a set of same shank (3/8") end mills and 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" end mill holders. About $100. Add more as you need them.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...itFast=tormach

CR.

Frank I may be able to help you out with some endmills of various sizes, they are used ones but still useable. I also have a small vice that may work for you until you get setup with everything you need.
    Dave

Hi trubleshtr,

I did see the B1976 and B1977 at BusyBee but they were too big to haul down to my basement.

Frank
    LOL....I had to diss-assembly mine completely to get it in the basement. Now if I can only get the old lathe from the shed down there too....:violin:
    menomana

If you are just starting to buy tooling, I recommend you invest NOW in Tormach Quick Change tooling. You don't HAVE to buy a complete set right away--Just a R8 adapter collet, drill chuck holder (JT number on your chuck--beat out old arbor) a set of same shank (3/8") end mills and 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" end mill holders. About $100. Add more as you need them.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...itFast=tormach

CR.
    Thanks for the tips and the link CR.I actually bought a quick change tool post from littlemachineshop.com for my lathe.That is a pretty slick system but can I not stick to using my MT3 spindle and use this collet ?

Frank

Frank I may be able to help you out with some endmills of various sizes, they are used ones but still useable. I also have a small vice that may work for you until you get setup with everything you need.
    Dave
    Thanks for the offer Dave.I have more endmills coming from a friend of mine but I'd be interested in the vise if its 6".Let me know how much and what size.

Frank

Thanks for the tips and the link CR.I actually bought a quick change tool post from littlemachineshop.com for my lathe.That is a pretty slick system but can I not stick to using my MT3 spindle and use this collet ?

Frank
    Whoops! I forgot that the standard there is MT3 and not R8 like here. Yes, of course you can!

CR.

Frank, the endmills were free, and the use of the vice was yours until you were able to get what you needed.
    Dave

Frank, the endmills were free, and the use of the vice was yours until you were able to get what you needed.
    Dave
    I wouldn't worry about it then Dave.My buddy set me up with a few more end mills and a few center bits today.We're headed out to Busy Bee in the morning and I'll likely buy a vise while there.I very much appreciate the offer though.

Frank