586,094 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

"Epoxy Granite" industry discution

oh hi im no engineer i didn't even finished grade 10! but im fascinated by the use of Epoxy Granite (lets call it EG) for machines and well everything it can be used for! i haven't read the EG thread (its a bit to much reading for me) but i don't want to talk about its scientific properties or even how to make it i just want to introduce a new thread about what EG means for industry? it seems to me that we rely so much on machines for so much in our world, we have a shortage of skilled tradesman well everywhere and with the economic problems in our world. it seems to me (a simple person) EG should be more utilized more for our world but its not! i know this is a broad subject and some of it has been talked about on other posts but what can EG do to help our industry no our world?

i may be wasting my time (its confusing me) but if anyone else wants to explore this more then lets get this started!

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I have the same notion since i had followed the EG thread for quite a long time. From my understanding there are many formulas and technical discussion which i say would be basically more scientific for people like me. I would plainly ask the Big minds on the EG thread to give the builders a simple and good approach formula & moulding techique which would be low cost & stonger than the regular castings, so one could easily try them on a small scale for their projects. The Pro's & cons can only be understood when you really make them. Ideas are welcome as i am about to complete my 10' x 5' cnc router project and could use them for building a small cnc turning center which was in my mind for along time now. Definately EG will replace steel castings in the comming years for machine building applications.

Regards,

Vishnu

hey vishnu nice to hear you thoughts. what i thought of when i read all this stuff and saw the machines (epically that german CNC mill cast in EG!) i thought about using it to increase the mass on wood lathes, i would really like to make a wood lathe with EG but ill need to know a bit more. oh normal lathe not CNC

im sure there are many things EG can be used for but what i really wanted to touch on was how it could be put to use in the commercial industry. ok so some companies in Europe and around the world do us EG in the manufacture of there machines but for such a simple process that has so much advantages to it, shouldn't we be utalisie it more in the widespread commercial industry?

ok well think of it like this how much money will it cost to make a part out of cast iron? and how many resources will it need e.g. machines to make it, supplies and manpower. then assuming the part can be made out of EG and that its use wont be effected by it being made from EG, what cost will it be to make? and what resources will it use?

as a simple person i cant see why we don't utilize for such tasks ......ok its not appropriate for some tasks but for others it will be very useful. if anyone has a different opinion on this or could explain if theres a reason why this process is not more widely used then please feel free to share.

Patrick