586,108 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

did i kill a g540?

I accidentally reversed the polarity to pins 11 and 12 on the main terminal block did i kill the g540? This was the first setup to the unit should the red led display? Is there a diode that I should wait for it to reset? Is there anything I can do to fix it, I have surface mount tools and a pic programmer. Or should i just bite the bullet and purchase another one?

Gecko will probably repair it or replace it (for free) if you send it back to them. Give em a call Monday morning.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

hot darn, ignore this thread.... will get in tough to them on monday

Well, you "killed" it temporarily, but it's not fatal. You need to replace the internal fuse:

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    The G540 motor outputs are protected against short-circuits (winding to winding, winding to ground, etc.), reversed power supply polarity, over-voltage and under-voltage. The protection is pretty much the same as what's in a G203V except for over-temperature protection.

The G540 contains four individual G250 drives. Each are held in place with a pair of 2-56 socket head screws. Replacing the drives requires only an Allen wrench. The cover unsnaps and the motherboard unplugs to reveal the four drives. There are no wires inside at all. Simply unscrew the bad drive, replace it, plug in the motherboard and snap the cover back on.

Reversed supply polarity or over-voltage (>68VDC) will blow an internal ultra-fast fuse. The fuse is socketed on the motherboard. Unsnap the cover, unplug the motherboard and replace the fuse. Plug the motherboard back in, snap on the cover and it's good to go.

We have yet to see a blown drive but then there aren't that many G540s out there yet, less than 1,000 have shipped to date. I have dealt with a few support calls where the G540 wouldn't come out of fault (red LED) where the cause was traced to a shorted or miswired motor. Clearing that resulted in the G540 running (green LED) with no damage to the drives.

Mariss
    CR.

ya, Batting a 1000 today thanks for the info pulled the fuse off to replace it.

That's Great! Good job!

That sounds like maybe a good spare to keep. What fuse is in there? Let us know where you get it please.

CR.

i did that too. fuse blew. they seem to know there are lost of silly people out there and took precautions

if you email them, they will tell you where to get fuses, and possibly even mail you one (they sent me one).

to test if i really had killed it or not, i shorted the fuse socket with wire and it started up just fine. dont run the machine like that though.. 1 chance is all you get and then its really killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    That's Great! Good job!

That sounds like maybe a good spare to keep. What fuse is in there? Let us know where you get it please.

CR.
    its a 125v 7 amp "pico 2" fuse. should show up under F2318-ND at digikey.com
    worth a whopping 50 cents

This is an ultra fast-blow fuse. It dies before the electronics can. Use no fuse substitutes or you will kill it.:-)

Mariss

As "sort of" a side topic, if you don't mind, what is the best size fuse to use installed on the AC side to protect the G540 in a controller box?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave->..