586,655 active members*
2,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th axis with SC?

Anyone have any experience with adding a 4th axis to SolidCAM?

In talking with the rep there are three packages, but I haven't gotten any documentation on how these work within SolidCAM (new toolpaths? Additional options on existing toolpaths?)

1. Indexial: rotate part, lock and machine. Different WCS for each position apparently.

2. C-Axes: This apparently replaces the Y axis with a rotational axis. The tool never moves off of the centerline of the rotational axis. Great for cutting concentric grooves I guess.

3. Full 4th axis, the toolpath includes rotational moves with X, Y, Z moves.

Note that these are separate options. The full 4th axis module doesn't inclde indexing apparently.

I have experience with 4th axis in SolidCAM, indexing B axis on a Mori Seiki SH400 and full 4th axis on a Mori Seiki MH 40. The indexial requires the "indexial 4 & 5 axis" module which allows you to set up multiple MAC co-ordinate systems. Your post processor needs to be able to handle the output and so would be bespoke. All that is different in SolidCAM is this ability to add MAC positions - the CAM set-up page now has a "multi-sided" check box in the area "Co-ordinate System"

Full (or simultaneous) 4th axis requires option 3 in your list - option two is meant mainly for turning centres. To program full 4th axis, an option called "Wrap" makes itself available in geometry definition, just where abouts I cannot remember (it was 3 years ago) and once again your post needs to be tweaked to make the desire code.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakeman Bob View Post
    I have experience with 4th axis in SolidCAM, indexing B axis on a Mori Seiki SH400 and full 4th axis on a Mori Seiki MH 40. The indexial requires the "indexial 4 & 5 axis" module which allows you to set up multiple MAC co-ordinate systems. Your post processor needs to be able to handle the output and so would be bespoke. All that is different in SolidCAM is this ability to add MAC positions - the CAM set-up page now has a "multi-sided" check box in the area "Co-ordinate System"

Full (or simultaneous) 4th axis requires option 3 in your list - option two is meant mainly for turning centres. To program full 4th axis, an option called "Wrap" makes itself available in geometry definition, just where abouts I cannot remember (it was 3 years ago) and once again your post needs to be tweaked to make the desire code.

Thanks Bob.

I've had a couple of discussions with the Solidcam folks, there are 3 modules:

1. Indexial: This allows you to define coordinate systems/positions and then index to that position, lock and do any normal operation.

2. Something they call "C-Axis Wrap". This allows you to machine any 2D geometry that can be unwrapped (conceptually). So, pockets where the floor is concentric with the rotational axis, grooves, text engraving.

3. Simultaneous 4th axis (this is the 4th/5th axis module, limited to 4 axis).

The first one is really simple to set up, not any different from any other coordinate system setup.

The C-Axis wrap is pretty simple too, any profile, pocket, drill or text engrave can (apparently) be set up as a wrap (not HSM). I think the 3D Milling can be used in this mode too, but I'm not 100% sure...I'll need to double check.

The simultaneous 4th is another animal completely. It looks pretty complex, especially to get a smooth toolpath without gouges. I have the sense that this is a "last resort", you wouldn't use this unless you couldn't get the job done with either c-axis wrap or indexing the part to multiple positions and doing standard 3D machining in each orientation.