586,321 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Anyone using EdgeCam/ Cimatron/ PEPS Camtek/ Delcam ?
Page 1 of 2 12
    Klaus Guest

Anyone using EdgeCam/ Cimatron/ PEPS Camtek/ Delcam ?

Anyone using EdgeCam/ Cimatron/ PEPS Camtek/ Delcam out there? Can you please let me know your views on these CAM systems and which one is the best?????

Klaus,

Why don't you take a look at OneCnc? A very good package and extremely capable program with 3D solids machining, making it possible to molds and complicated parts. Check it out at onecnc.com .....

Ken

Of the listed programs, I've used Cimitron and Delcam. Cimitron is hard but very capable. Delcam is no slouch either. I've also used GibbsCAD/CAM, Virtual Gibbs, Surfcam, Bobcad, Mastercam and some others. Mastercam is, IMO, the best choice for just about any application.

'Rekd

My previous employer used Peps. He was very happy with it. I can't tell you my opinion about it as i did not use it myself.

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Klaus Guest

Wink CAM

The reason we are evaluting the above mentioned software is that they offer the full range, namely 2 1/2D Milling/ 3D Milling/ Turning/ WEDM and Electrode Design. The advantage is the fexibility you would have in using the same programmers for the whole range without any extensive training.

Klaus

What about MasterCAM?

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Like Klox stated MC will do all that you stated.
    Feel free to ask about it if you want.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

The reason we are evaluting the above mentioned software is that they offer the full range, namely 2 1/2D Milling/ 3D Milling/ Turning/ WEDM and Electrode Design. The advantage is the fexibility you would have in using the same programmers for the whole range without any extensive training.
    Mastercam. It will do everything you need. It has THE best support group I've seen for ANY software. The price is superb for the quality of product.

One thing I didn't mention about Cimitron... the salesmen were women, and the tech support is nill to non-existant.

'Rekd

I'm using Surfcam. Very user friendly. Havn't used it for highspeed machining of molds as of yet but will in the near future.If anyone else is using Surfcam it would be great to hear some input about high speed machining with it.
    rollie

Delcam won the benchmark I held here at work. I held a benchmark for CAM software that took about 1 year to complete. We had all the heavy hitters up to bat at that time.

PowerMill and PowerShape is still going strong in the shop. I showed the programmers something about visual Basic 6 and they are now creating fantastic automation programs.

One such program we call it 'cruncher'. You run cruncher and select the IGES model, tell the program which tools to use for roughing prefinishing and finishing. The VB program connects to PowerMill and completely generates the tool path stratigy and outputs the gcode.

The group made this VB program so easy to use that they let the shop floor CNC operators use it to create the jobs for the night shift.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I've been using EdgeCam for 7 years i think it's the best out there. BUT their customer service, support, pricing, and polices
    are the worst. My complany is pulling out we've had enough,
    going to go with either Master Cam, Surf Cam, or Esprit.

I have used Mastercam, Surfcam and Cimatron. I currently use Cimatron for all my electrode design and nc programming. I have found that Cimatron has a huge learning curve but is well worth the agrivation once you get the hang of it. I use the IT 13 version and am starting to use their new Elite version 4.2, however I have found alot of problems/bugs with the quick electrode part of their software that has keep me from switching over. I would say that you need to evaluate what you will be doing with the software, Cimatrons IT version13 Quick electrode and Quick compare are the best in the industry, but their new Elite version 4.2 is in need of some major fixes in the in the Quick electrode and nc tool parameters area. The new Surfcam seems to be much improved over the last 2 years, although I do not use this as much as I use to, I think it is still a great choice.

Hope this helps

Mike

Mastercam has Moldplus that has eletrod maker that works real nice..

you can take a look at the moldplus add-on here Mold Plus
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I have been using Edgecam for 3+ years now.

It was the only software that could do 4 axis turning.

I think the code generator is awesome. You can tailer the output of code with ease, and don't need to be a rocket scientist. I even have it spitting out for a topwell mill with an anilam control (my worst enemy). It uses words like LINE instead of G1... Code is going directly into machine now, without ANY editing.

I haven't had to call customer service much. Their distributors need a bit of help, had some issues there. But as far as program, NOTHING i have seen compares. I learned on smartcam and mastercam. Softare is bar none, with a new version being released every 6 months.

I just bought the option for pulling in inventor files directly, still learning how to use it, but that is going to be nice also. When engineering changes files on me, edgecam will make the updates. They also interface with just about every other CAD software.

I have no regrets buying Edgecam.

I recently took a hard look at Cimatron. They came to our shop and gave us a 2 hour sales pitch demo. I gotta say I was impressed and that isn't easy to do. Very capaple indeed. They swear it doesn't take long to learn but I believe what I hear from
    other users over what they have told us. I has a big learning curve. It has to, with all those bells and whistles. BUT THERE IS NO LATHE AT ALL as of the current version. It supposedly will be in the next one. That was enough to scratch those guys.Too bad too, I really like it's capabilities in mill and design.
    The Pathtrace people have attractive 4 axis lathe support but lack (I believe) multi axis simultaneous milling motion. (It does only positioning) but don't hold me to that one.
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

hi
    have been trained in delcam (duct first then powershape)
    powermill ,my feelings for these products they are good pakage's
    but i'am just and engineer trying to make a living,i found it a long
    learning curve to get to grips with plus the training at delcam was they give you a book you press the buttons in the book and it does what it says in the book(nobody ever explained why you where you pressing the buttons)leaving you a little bit confused
    but you get there in the end,support was always there to get you
    through, brilliant support but you have to pay the price

mastercam good product but its down to learning and price

solidworks the best and easiest 3d solider on the market today
    core,cav,electrode manufacture its absolute dream to work with
    but then you got to machine it you need to get a bolt on package
    to manufacture once again it down to price(i used camworks with
    solidworks brilliant pakages combined togeather) working in the
    plastic mould industry

my advise to you would be look at something that not going to cost bucketfulls of money thats well supported(check the cost)
    that got an easy learning curve
    that does solids as well as surfaces or both and will machine half solid half surfaces in one go(hybred)
    for that i recommend a company that may not be as well publisised as the big guns but believe me they will be
    visit ONECNC AND DOWNLOAD THERE DEMO
    BEST REGARDS
    PETER

Originally posted by Turbine
    I recently took a hard look at Cimatron. They came to our shop and gave us a 2 hour sales pitch demo. I gotta say I was impressed and that isn't easy to do. Very capaple indeed. They swear it doesn't take long to learn but I believe what I hear from
    other users over what they have told us. I has a big learning curve. It has to, with all those bells and whistles. BUT THERE IS NO LATHE AT ALL as of the current version. It supposedly will be in the next one. That was enough to scratch those guys.Too bad too, I really like it's capabilities in mill and design.
    The Pathtrace people have attractive 4 axis lathe support but lack (I believe) multi axis simultaneous milling motion. (It does only positioning) but don't hold me to that one.
    You're right, big learning curve. No lathe support. It's basically for doing trodes and mold work. Which it does explicably well. I wonder if they've changed their virtues on the 'Sales Pitch'... back in the day it was done via scantly clad, well endowed women that really didn't know the software.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

where do I sign up?

...for a demo???

I'm thinking they might need to come back a few times so I can REALLY compare the, um, software..

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Rekd I didn't get THAT demo. But they are persistant and came back again with a video demo (software engineer that does the live demo was unavailable this time) and lots o' popcorn
    Lathe is out now. Since it wasn't a real demo I have a lot o' ??'s
    Seems just as cool as mill, but we'll need multi spindle/head lathe support which I kinda doubt for a first time lathe pkg. (sales guy could not answer that one) But ya never know they are partnered with a lot o' smart people.
    I'm parasolid man now but may mutate to acis man soon.

I forgot to mention that the Cimatron sketcher alone is top of the line stuff, possibly better than Solid Works. At 1st demo he did a BP of a fuel nozzle in minutes. (ended up with the solid too) This is one of our parts he'd never seen before, kinda fancy with many compound angle slots.
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

Page 1 of 2 12