587,482 active members*
3,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > oneCNC vs. Mastercam

Hybrid View

This is a good thread. I have MastercamX Router Level 1 MR2. I have been racking my head about what to do. We are adding a 4th axis to our Thermwood cnc router and I want to start using the router to carve guitar bodies and furniture parts. But I'm finding that I will probably have to upgrade from Router Level 1 to Router Level 3 plus add Solids to be able to machine surfaces like those found on an electric guitar.

That's a big chunk of change. I have ran the gauntlet from looking at Rhino3d with Deskproto, Rhino3d with Madcam etc. The problem is that I'm used to Mastercam X's interface. I can't seem to get a grip on Rhino3d. Plus, when you look at how you place geometry in order to be machined on the cnc, it's much easier in Mastercam. Or at least, I know what I'm doing there.

OneCNC has sent me their pricing for their products. But now, I'd be faced with re-learning a new cad system. How does it compare to Mastercam Router? Mastercam Router has nesting (not advanced nesting), MDF door wizards, Stair runner wizards and pretty decent tool strategies. But getting to the place where I can machine surfaces, that's where I hit the wall. Any suggestions? Advice? I asked Mastercam if I could sell my seat since it's not really working for what I need now but I haven't rec'd a straight yes or no answer. And I have to admit, I hate those yearly maintenance fees!

Thanks for listening,

Chris

MC update

Chris to do the work you need you do not have to add solids and you need at least router Pro to do multisurface.

The cost is no more then you tring to by a new seat of ONEcnc.
    Have you talked with your dealer about this?

I design electric guitar for local customer here were i live and we use mc to cut them.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Cadcam, I have talked to my MC reseller. They are very good people to deal with. I asked him to work up some numbers for me. I remember that back when I was purchasing my cnc that Router Pro was quoted at like $24k. I've gone back through and looked through my emails but can't find it.

Anyway, they told me that they would work with me on the price and allow me a 30 day trial to see how it works. I have gone through the data on MC's website about the differences between Router and Router Pro. I thought that originally, with Router Pro you got the true shape nesting and other features besides a enabling a few surface toolpaths.

About the solids module. Do you feel it makes it 'easier' to program parts like this? What's the advantages vs. disadvantages of having the solids module? I know the one disadvantage would be the exta $1k. Feel free to email me, I'd really like to talk more.

Thanks,

Chris Robinson
    [email protected]