586,106 active members*
3,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Question reguarding Old vs. New Taig mill

Question reguarding Old vs. New Taig mill

I've been running the first gen taig as a CNC mill for a while now. I've come to the point where i'm locking down on making the machine more accurate. I've noticed the new style taig comes with preloadable nuts on the X and Y axis, and the Z axis uses box ways as opposed to the dovetail ways on my machine.

I'm trying to figure out if the preloadable nuts on the new X and Y axis would work with my older taig mill? From the diagrams on taig's website it doesn't look like anything relevant to the leadscrews has changed between the two versions of the mill, but I'd like to be sure before purchasing the preloaded nuts. Also it looks like the Z axis has been extended, is this true? Thanks!

I've toyed around with the idea of converting the machine to servos and ball screws, but at $600 an axis in the end it's just not worth doing to this little guy.

The adjustable nuts should retrofit fine, I've done it on one of mine.
    The new z-axis has a tiny bit more travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anokiernan View Post

I'm trying to figure out if the preloadable nuts on the new X and Y axis would work with my older taig mill? From the diagrams on taig's website it doesn't look like anything relevant to the leadscrews has changed between the two versions of the mill, but I'd like to be sure before purchasing the preloaded nuts. Also it looks like the Z axis has been extended, is this true? Thanks!

I've toyed around with the idea of converting the machine to servos and ball screws, but at $600 an axis in the end it's just not worth doing to this little guy.
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

Do you think the extra travel is worth the hassle of converting over to the newer way? I've learned to work around the limited Z axis most of the time, but I'm sure later down the road it'll bite me when I need it the most.

It's a hard call. I got by for years with the old z-axis, I really only converted so I could support the new one. The new one is more rigid, and likely more precise. I can't really remember how much more travel you get but I think it's on the order of half an inch at most?

Quote Originally Posted by Anokiernan View Post
    Do you think the extra travel is worth the hassle of converting over to the newer way? I've learned to work around the limited Z axis most of the time, but I'm sure later down the road it'll bite me when I need it the most.
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

Thanks! Just the info I was looking for