586,094 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need some guidance

Hi everyone--

I am in the process of wiring all of my electronics. I am about to the point where I need some major help. I probably should have purchased all my parts from one vendor, but I did not. Instead, I read posts about who made good products, and who I should stay away from. Then there were items that I just flipped a coin and bought something.

I have my power supplies mounted in a seperate enclosure. I am hoping that this will reduce the amount of heat on the electronics. The power supplies are 80 VDC with a regulated 5,12, and 24 volts DC.

I am needing help right now with 2 questions for now ( plenty more questions to come)

Where should I connect the Granite Devices VSD-E's to the CNC4PC c23 BOB? The VSD-E has connections labled

3 HSIN1- High Speed optoisolated input -
    4 HSIN1+ High Speed optoisolated input +
    5 HSIN2- High Speed optoisolated input -
    6 HSIN2+ High Speed optoisolated input +

Are these the Step and direction inputs?

My next question is about the power supplies. I am using 3 seperate power supplies, 1 for the x axis, 1 for the y axis, and 1 for the z axis. The eaxh power supply has either a regulated 5, 12, or 24 power supply on it.

Should all the NEG. of the power supplies be connected to COMMON? I read in the VSD-E manual that they should, but their diagram only showed 1 power supply. It did not suggest what to do for multiple power supplies.

I have attached 3 pictures of what I have already started.

If anyone sees anything that I have done or about to do that is wrong PLEASE SPEAK UP, I have too much time and money invested to watch it go up in smoke.

Thanks for the help

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1276a.jpg   DSC_1277a.jpg   DSC_1278a.jpg  

Steve

Refering to page 13 of the manual....

3 (HSIN1-) High speed optoisolated input - Usually connected to controller 0V
    4 (HSIN1+) High speed optoisolated input + Step in / Quadrature A in / PWM in / general purpose input
    5 (HSIN2-) High speed optoisolated input - Usually connected to controller 0V
    6 (HSIN2+) High speed optoisolated input + Direction in / Quadrature B in / general purpose input

So yes, HSIN(1 and 2) are the inputs for step and dir if the unit in that mode.

If you don't have it already here is a link to their manual page.

http://www.granitedevices.fi/index.php?q=manuals

As to the multiple supplies. Yes, all negitives connected together. This will help avoid ground loop problems and is common practice unless there is a very specific reason to have a floating supply.

Very clean layout! And good selection of parts. What are you running with this?

Steve

Vger-

Thanks for the information. I got several more wires run today.

I am in the process of building a plasma cutter/drill . I have all the mechanical stuff finished, and now it is time for the electrical.

Do you know of anything else I need to be aware of?

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1288a.jpg  

What I generally do is set up a ground Plate by using 1/4 or similar copper plate and drill and tap a multitude of #10-32 holes, and use this for all the commons, shields and service ground point, usually in the main panel.
    I also make sure my PC P.S. common comes back to this plate also.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

How are you doing the wire numbering, looks really neat.

integerspin-

It is called a Hot Marker, and it is made by a company called CTK.

It has a 12 rotary dials that has the ABC's and 123's on it. These dials have a heater that runs inside them.

Once the dials get hot, they press on a roll of black ink tape and transfer the hot ink to the PVC tubing. The ink gets burned into the tubing. There is no mess, smoke or fumes.

There are several different sizes of PVC tubing and colors.

Al-

thanks for the information, it has cleared most of the questions up. Just one more. What is the reason that the PC PS ground is also connected?

Thanks

Steve

I just found some lowcost 3M[those words don't usually go together]system, it's simply rolls of numbers, which should do the job. hopefully.

My mill had a large plate for the commons and all the encoder, and other shielded wires, ran past the plate, the outers of the shielded cables was stipped atthis point and the shielded wires were clamped to the plate. Looked very neat and must have worked OK.

No heat sinks on the drives? I was going to put AMD AM2 oem heatsinks on them, the heatsinks are ~80mm square, surface is around 4 times that of those pretty heat sinks on the XE drives.
    Whats the bit of board visible on the d plugs?

Steve,
    Solid grounding and sheilding practices will help keep you out of unexpected problems. In the military avionics shop I worked in, everything was very well grounded and sheilded. The equipment racks were fully enclosed and had metal screen filters over the cooling in and out ports. There was a copper strap (1/4" X 2") that ran all the way around the shop, over doorways, and it was cabled ( 000 wire ) to grounding rods driven 20' into the ground outside. The shop was about 100' X 75' so it was a LOT of copper. Every electronic item in the shop was connected to that strap. There was also a "Faraday" room in the corner for working on radio gear. The Faraday room was about 15' X 20' and was completely covered with copper screen (like windowscreen) and had a double door access (like and airlock) so you could enter and leave without breaking the shield barrier.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    Al-

thanks for the information, it has cleared most of the questions up. Just one more. What is the reason that the PC PS ground is also connected?
    Thanks
    Steve
    On a desktop PC the the power supply is usually grounded by a couple of screw through the MB to the chassis.
    When hooking up external equipment in the nature of CNC controllers etc, there is usually, as in my case, equipment that is referenced to earth ground.
    I just like to make sure the return path common has a direct low impedance connection to the supply, rather than allowing any common return path to otherwise wend its way across the MB, and also any noise/leakage signal to be taken care of externally, rather than return from chassis to the MB screws.
    That is my reasoning anyway and so far it has worked out.
    I haven't had to go to Farady cages as of yet.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

integerspin --

I have been playing with the idea of using a water cooler from a PC and connect that to some copper blocks. I just don't know if I want to risk having water inside the enclosure.

Thanks for the reply Al, I will run the extra wire just to make sure all the bases are covered.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    integerspin --

I have been playing with the idea of using a water cooler from a PC and connect that to some copper blocks. I just don't know if I want to risk having water inside the enclosure

Steve
    I considered doing that, a water leak could be expensive though.