586,301 active members*
4,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 Rev.1 has problem

G540 Rev.1 has problem

Hi there.
    I have a G540 rev. 1 control, that developed a strange problem. After some difficulties I got it to set up the right way, but the Y drive stepper made noises like loosing steps. Run some short Eagle PCB nc files to test the mill, but the noise in drive Y just got stronger, and getting harder to homing. Switched X and Y cables, run the same test, then the X was bad, Y was running fine. Then I made "A" drive replacing all the Y functions, it was going fine too. Ok I thought, will carefully took it apart, and exchange the "A" 250 drive with the "Y" one, but Y drive still had the problem, So I guess there should be a problem somewhere in the G540's motherboard. Now the question is, can I do some more checking, measure, or maybe any "repairs" to solve this problem. I live in Eastern Europe, and the distance could create some difficulties, bat if there is no other way then I have no choice will send it back to repair.
    The 250's are rev.5, those reworked ones. ( Sorry for the long post.)

>Jim.

If I'm not mistaken the earlier 540's had different configuration or pinouts on the A, XY and Z were the same, but A was different. I would contact Gecko directly and they can tell you exactly what is what.

Gary

Yes Gary, you are right, the config for the rev1 is totally different from rev3. For example, the E-stop switch is normally closed type, needs +5volts from PC, and some more, but I was able to set it up correctly, only problem was, as I mentioned with the "Y" drive. First I thought my Y travel has some serious problems, but when I changed to drive "A" was going just fine.
    Thanks for your concern, but I'm afraid I need to contact the Gecko people.

>Jim.

Here is rev1 LPT pinout:
    http://cnczone.com/forums/attachment...1&d=1235423818
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 540 rev1 LPT pinout.jpg  

If you do need to send it in, you can get the motherboard upgraded to the Rev 4 motherboard so all of the drives will be identical.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...27&postcount=5

rowbare,

Thanks for the info, I somehow missed Mariss's post, this is great news. I have 2 G540 units, got one for my friends, they are both identical rev1. He newer hooked his up yet, but I'll will send both G540's back for upgrade.
    I'm a bit confused with Geckodrive Inc. mailing address. Want to confirm, that I'll send it to the right place, then I find out there are more companies under the same name in California with different addresses. I have this address on the parcel with the drives:
    "GECKODRIVE INC. 14662 Franklin Ave. Suite E Tustin, CA 92780"
    would that be the right place to ship it back for the upgrade? Someone could confirm this, thank so much for your efforts.

>Jim.

Hi Jim!

That is the correct address.

From the Gecko Website:

http://geckodrive.com/upload/STEPPER%20RETURN.pdf

CR.

Thanks.... C.R.
    Now at least I know did sent it to the right place. Just mailed both of them today, I think it will take at least 2 weeks, till it gets there, priority and registered, but sometime I feel like living on an other planet. But no big deal, as long as it gets the upgrade, or fix.

Regards:
    >Jim.