586,070 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Indexable tools.. what applications?

Indexable tools.. what applications?

I got the Littlemachineshop tooling set for the 8-12 with the indexable toolholders. The description is this:

The set of indexable turning tools includes 5 tools (TAR, TAL, TBR, TBL, TE), inserts, a wrench, and extra screws.

I get that you want the sweep to be away from the cut and that has worked well.

Which one do you use for facing operations? Does it just follow the same rules.. sweep away from the cutting direction? Is there another tool I should be using entirely?

Also... any reason you can't use the straight-on holder for threading purposes? (Assuming you use a pointed insert without a rounded nose.)

Last dumb question... I see that the sweep angles have one that ends at *90, I can see where that would leave a nice shoulder. Is there any advatage to useing the one that goes past *90 for other operations?

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO View Post
    I got the Littlemachineshop tooling set for the 8-12 with the indexable toolholders. The description is this:

The set of indexable turning tools includes 5 tools (TAR, TAL, TBR, TBL, TE), inserts, a wrench, and extra screws.

I get that you want the sweep to be away from the cut and that has worked well.

Which one do you use for facing operations? Does it just follow the same rules.. sweep away from the cutting direction? Is there another tool I should be using entirely?

Also... any reason you can't use the straight-on holder for threading purposes? (Assuming you use a pointed insert without a rounded nose.)

Last dumb question... I see that the sweep angles have one that ends at *90, I can see where that would leave a nice shoulder. Is there any advatage to useing the one that goes past *90 for other operations?
    I use the left hand tool for facing.
    You certainly don't need a "pointed" tool with no radius to cut threads. Have a look at thread form specs, you'll see there are allowances for the bottom of the thread. Sharp pointed tools take more work to cut, and dull quicker.