586,076 active members*
3,912 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Series 1 - Rebiuild questions

I was wondering if it is possible for a newb to take a bridgeport j head apart to diagnose issues and get it back together without any special tooling. The problem I am running into is the quill is so tight that the auto feed will not work. It has actually trashed the teeth on the overload clutch. I know the overload clutch can be adjusted, but I am pretty sure that the quill is tight enough that it would damage a new one if properly adjusted.

I am quessing there is something wrong in the quill area because I see pretty significant markings on it. I am just wondering because I see a lot of people say not to take the quill out.

This is a 1951 Bridgeport (round ram) and there seems to be issues in the head that I am going to have to work out. So far I have found the following broken parts:

Item Clockspring
    Item Overload Clutch
    Item Cam Rod
    Item Snap ring
    Item Quill Pinion Gear

Sounds like that machine is pretty beat up? They say not to take the spindle out, you just have to be very carefull putting it back in. You might be better off just getting a new head for that machine, if your around NE Ohio, PM me and I'll tell you where to get decent stuff at a decent price, lots of those machines around here.

Bridgeport

They can be taken out I work were is a lost of cast iron dust and they can get up between the quill and the house and make thing tight. You need a manual and bridgeport manual are very detailed and a lot of lines. do you know and machinist buddies that could help. Dave

I don't have any machinist buddies. I cannot seem to find anyone around me into it. The ones are still treat it as a lost art and they want to keep it that way. I am pretty sure that I do not need to take the spindle out, just the quill.

The only special tools I have had to make is a tube wrench to take off the bearing nut on the bull gear.
    The quill can come out.
    It is chromed. Maybe that has pealed.
    Check the 1/4 set screw on the back of the quill that it is not too tight and egging the quill.
    I have had the quill pinion shaft bushing get galled up. Remove that shaft and check it first.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all of you guys help. I have not gotten back out to the garage, but I will update when I find the problem...