586,065 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 13 210111213
    CNCAdmin,
    Those look like Bishop Wisecarver bearings, is that correct? I also wanted to let people know I work for a motion control distributor out of Denver, CO and run a cut-shop for both IPS and Futura aluminum profiles. I stock most profiles and hardware and have short lead times for the rest of the items. I would love to help anyone get their projects off the ground!

I apologize for injecting product information, I'm new to reading the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    Hey paul

Where did you get that cool Aluminum honey comb for the laser table?

I know I saw it in your post but can't find it anywhere!!!

oh and how much did it cost?
    I got from a aerospace outfit, I have to look up the name, I will post it later.

Quote Originally Posted by GVlcek View Post
    CNCAdmin,
    Those look like Bishop Wisecarver bearings, is that correct? I also wanted to let people know I work for a motion control distributor out of Denver, CO and run a cut-shop for both IPS and Futura aluminum profiles. I stock most profiles and hardware and have short lead times for the rest of the items. I would love to help anyone get their projects off the ground!

No, just skate bearing on rectangual steel rails.

he speaks!!!

obviously busy, I already found a source on E-bay that sells it professionally don't know if its expensive as its only 1 of 2 sources I found.

The other source was an aircraft place and wanted 400.00 for a 4'x8' piece and the place on ebay was 37.00 dollars. So I went with the E-bay source.

You need to get out more often man!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

miljnor.....why not also post the source information....it would save us all some time....thanks.

he currently dosen't have any listings on ebay but the home sight is:

http://www.honeycommcore.com/product.html

Maybe they were loosing thier shirt on Ebay so your price may vary. I looked up my total price with shipping was 52.00 for an 4x8' sheet
    thanks
    Michael T.

honey comb

Just wondering if the honeycomb comes in a compressed form and you have to pull it out to it's expanded size or whether it comes already expanded.
    This would help with shipping sizes and costs.
    I have just started getting all the things together for my 35 watt laser and will serialize the building on this forum in the new year. Wish me well and don't forget to add comments as you see fit.
    The Neuron
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

you can buy it either way from that vendor. I bought mine in the compressed state.\
    thanks
    Michael T.

Expanded Honeycomb

I just got a couple of quotes back and from an Australian company it cost $1050 and $1200 delivery for 60 x 40 x 1 inch. This comes ex USA.
    The other company www.HoneyCommCore.com in the USA sells
    1/4 ACG (3000) NP UNXP .375 X 39.370 X 59.050 inch at $150 unexpanded for shipping. This has 1/4 inch cell size and is 3/8 thick. Thanks Miljnor for that link.
    Both are commercial grade. Gee, I'm not sure which one to go for!!!! Maybe my bank manager can make that decision for me and the surgeon may be able to keep one of my arms.
    the Neuron

I got my 2" honeycore here- http://www.plascore.com

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    you can buy it either way from that vendor. I bought mine in the compressed state.\

How does that work? Does it stay straight and flat?

Quote Originally Posted by MonoNeuron View Post
    I just got a couple of quotes back and from an Australian company it cost $1050 and $1200 delivery for 60 x 40 x 1 inch. This comes ex USA.
    The other company www.HoneyCommCore.com in the USA sells
    1/4 ACG (3000) NP UNXP .375 X 39.370 X 59.050 inch at $150 unexpanded for shipping. This has 1/4 inch cell size and is 3/8 thick. Thanks Miljnor for that link.
    Both are commercial grade. Gee, I'm not sure which one to go for!!!! Maybe my bank manager can make that decision for me and the surgeon may be able to keep one of my arms.
    the Neuron

Depending on your table size 3/4" aren't gonna do it. For my 44 x 55" table 2" is cutting it close.

That would have been good information before purchase, as I only bought 1" thick stuff.

From my previous experience with this material it stays pretty darn flat when you expand it. and is easy to mess with after expansion. Of course my idea of easy may be your extremely F'n messed up and hard to do, but thats my story and I'm sticking with it!

well its fairly cheap so if 1" is junk I will just purchase 2" down the road.

did you get your laser tubes sorted out yet paul?
    thanks
    Michael T.

I plan on using a grid under the honeycomb to support it using some small 1/8 x 1" steel bar about 4 to 6inches square so that it doesn't have to support the weight all on it's own.
    Or is this a bad way to go?????
    I am still in 2 minds whether to have a motorised Z axis for focus or to reduce weight by having it manualy adjustable so the head can traverse faster or make a raisable table like the big guys do.
    any suggestions?

My two cents of opinion,

I think the adjustable Z axis is a better choice but the added weight might pose some problems.
    On this method the four corners are perfect.

On the other hand, if you were to lift the table, you have to make sure all the four side rise and stays equally high and the table will not shake when the axis is moving very fast.

2 small bits...
    noticed the focusing fixed the alignment problem? That's very likely due to chromatic aberation. co2 IR is around 10000nm vrs red diodes @ 653?

i read recently where very rapid pulses ( <30fs?) allowed a lower power* laser to etch metals. It works different from the continuous power method. With CP you might get this surface puddle that simply spreads out and reflows, but with the rapid pulse method the cooling reflow is so near the L/S phase boundry that the next pulse is way more than adequate to push the material to a superexpansion state(in a microscopic area of course).

*i'll see if i can dredge up the articles for numbers.K?

I would definitely love to read those articles.
    thanks
    Michael T.

I also found after much searching the right mirror that I need to combine the IR and the red beam together, that being a beam combiner. I found this over seas and more than 1/2 what I could have gotten it for in the states. I have gone through weeks of fighting with alignment and that was all made simple once I got this mirror. It's far to much for me explain.
    Exactly what kind of mirror did you buy? Any kind of specs? I would really apreciate any information.

Co2 beam + Red dot combiner

I have some beam combiner's I may be willing to trade for linear motion components. Drop me a line.

Page 12 of 13 210111213