586,065 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > OKK > machine won't start up

machine won't start up

hey,
    Starting to have problems with a 1985 OKK V.M.C. with a FUNUC 11M control.The machine won't start up right away especially on mondays,after sitting for a long time not powered up.When I press the ON button, the screen won't turn on and I get an alarm diode in the back of the machine light up.Then if I leave the main power on and the controller on and play with the OFF ON buttons on the main control,the machine eventually powers up and the alarm in the back is goes away.
    If anybody has an idea what might be going on, please reply back.

THANKS

Sounds like you should check your voltages on your CNC power supply. Usually slow startup such as you describe pertain to weak caps.

Regards,

Chippy

Arrow I Agree

I agree

Thanks for the info,not sure what caps are though.Please explain.

HI,

Sorry, Capacitors.

Electrolytic Capacitors age and dry up. Most electronic equipment have them and usually this causes most problems.

Regards,

Chippy

hey
    I checked the voltage up to the input unit board and the voltage was around 220v.I am not sure if thats were you check.There is no voltage going up to the power unit until the machine starts up later.I was just wondering if it might be the input unit.

Krow,

You need to find the power supply that feeds the control PCB's. You should be looking for DC voltages such as 5, 12, -12, and 24 volts or what ever the Fanuc 11M uses to power the digital and analog components on it's PCB's. The volateg that you measured sounds like the input voltage. Not sure if Fanuc has test points on it's power supply for testing the voltages or not. You may need to get a rent a tech in whose familiar with the 11M to figure out your problem.

Good Luck,

Chippy

Hi,

Your machine is over 20 years old. In the 80's, i had a couple of oldies that did the same thing. I had to let them run about 1/2 hour before they would smooth out, after they sat for a while. (nc tape machines)

I solved the problem by putting a 100 watt light bulb in the controller, and left the bulb turned on. It would add a little heat and dry things a little. I dunno if it will work for you, but its cheap to try.

ya need a mdi/crt p. supply, or have it repaired. part num. is a20b-1001-0160

problem solved

A main board that feeds the monitor,located in back of the machine.It was faulty or worn out.