586,106 active members*
3,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: File Error

File Error

Hi
    We are using Mastercam versions 8 and 9 at work and we are having a problem which we can't seem to fix.
    When we save a .mc8 or .mc9 file on our desktop we cannot open it by double clicking on it. We get an error, "error opening mill8.txt". We can open the files when Mastercam is running using the File, Get option, and we don't have the problem if we save the files to the Mcam8 or 9 directory. As long as they are in that folder we can double click on them and Mastercam opens up without the error message.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!!

This is a window association issue. you need to right click on the file and go to properties and set to open with MC.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thank you for your reply.
    I thought the same thing myself. It seems like a simple file association issue. I have right clicked on the file and chose Mastercam to open the file. It doesn't help.
    We still get the error, "error opening lathe8.txt".
    There is a file in the Mcam8 folder called lathe8.txt.
    That's how I got the idea to try putting the files in the Mcam8 folder before I tried to open them. They open just fine if they are in that folder. For some reason our computer will not open the files unless they are in the same folder as lathe8.txt. I've tried copying lathe8.txt to the desktop and Mastercam starts to open and it creates a Chooks folder, a Data folder and a couple of configuration files on the desktop before giving me a few error messages about not enough memory and shutting down.
    I know this is confusing but it all boils down to the fact that everything works fine if we put our files in the Mcam8 folder before opening them. If we put them anywhere else, they won't open unless we run Mastercam and choose File, Get.
    Thanks!

If the are MC9 files then right click and it should be like mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V9prop.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Ok. Just forget it. You're obviously not reading what I'm writing. It's not a file association issue.
    Good luck increasing your post count.
    I'm outa here.

Well I did read what you wrote and for most customers this is the issue.
    As you want to open mastercam by double clicking the file on the desktop.

(Good luck increasing your post count.) as for your stupid remark. I am not worried about this as if you really read my post they are not just dumb reply s, but I do try and help as much as I can.

Maybe you should call your dealer sense the rest of us are to dumb.

PS don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Cadcam

Cadcam,
    Somehow, I don't think I would have been so polite.
    Never ceases to amaze me how impatient (impotent?) some people are.

Anyway, I think the way to fix this is to make a copy of mill9.txt in the same folder as the desktop.

Why people insist on putting current Mcam projects on the desktop is beyond me.
    Always enjoy reading your advice and how you keep trying to help.
    ObrienDave. MasterCam since V6. Gcode since 1983.
    The nose you punch today may belong to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Same old thing. Someone ask your expert opinion and says "It doesn't work when I do it like this...." and you say "Don't do it like that" and they say.... "But I want to do it like that". Then the only answer is to say "OK, have a nice day. Good talking to you" :-)

Mike Mattera
    Have A Nice Day.
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

error opening mill9.txt

Hi I am experiencing a "error opening mill9.txt" action each time I click on an mc9 file. I tried the file association thing in windows but that does not correct the problem, could you please recommend a possible solution. I contacted my reseller and he is stumped as well.....files will open directly from mastercam when it is running but the doubleclick on mc9 files options only prompts same old frustrating "error opening mill9.txt".

thanks for any suggestions you might have...

I have had this problem in the past.
    The way I have fixed it is to have the .mc9 association point to a .bat file which then opens Mcam9.

Attached you will find a copy of my batch file.
    Just remove the .txt extension.
    You may also have to add quotes around the %1 variable.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ObrienDave. MasterCam since V6. Gcode since 1983.
    The nose you punch today may belong to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Still touching on the properties page of your start-up icon

the Target should have full path to your .EXE file eg."C:\Mcam9\Lathe9.exe"
    the Start-in should be your Mcam root directory eg "C:\Mcam9"
    For the association, they also should have the full path "C:\Mcam9\Mill9.exe "%1""

if you wish Mastercam to fire up a default .MC9 file, then the target should be "C:\Mcam9\Mill9.exe S:\Mastercam\Mcam9_Drawings\Mill\default.MC9"
    set the attribute on the default .MC9 file to read only as not to overwrite , forcing you to Save as