586,071 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cutting metals with a wood machine

hello there,
    I am new to this site and am looking to build a cnc machine. I have a few questions. could a well built machine designed for wood be used for aluminum or brass? would it just be a matter of slower speeds and adjusted spindle speed. or would it need to be 'beefed' up to make a more sturdy machine like a bigger spindle motor, or using metal for the framing of the machine? has anyone here done any light milling of aluminum or brass with thier homebuilt wood machine??

thanks in advance, I think this site is great. Ideas being shared with like minded individuals is such a great advancement for humankind...

mac

yes; within reason- there really isn't much of a difference; I have a sherline desktop mill at home it's quite small and is mostly aluminum so it lacks the dead-weight that is generally regarded as being condusive to a more effective machine- however with the reduction in horsepower rigidty and dead weight it is still capable of macghining harder materials albiet at the expense of overall speed and aggressive material removal rates.

Yea, most machines are capable of machining those softer metals, just have to make sure you dont run it too fast, keep collant on it, and use the correct bit and spindle speed.