586,459 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5th axis and Auto Tool Changer

Is it possible to have both the 5th axis and the Automatic Tool Changer (ATC)? This is for a DIY system. Since the ATC sits on top of the spindle making it taller/longer, rotating the spindle is not possible since the spindle and ATC is too long. Does anyone have any ideas on how to pull this off on a DIY project?

Thanks,

You can change the position of the tool rack, I saw a gantry 5 axis machine with auto tool changer, the tools sat toward the back at 90 degrees, the head turned strait back and put the tool in using the x axis to push it into it. Its definately possible and a lot of the bigger 5 axis machines I have seen have auto tool changers.

Jon

neat idea

Coolman, I am trying to build one of these heads myself.
    What I have found is that right angle reduction units run about $1200 apiece, and advertise 3 ' (minutes) of backlash. 10:1 reduction. With a 22 inch spindle, assuming we rotate it from the center, the 3 minutes of backlash becomes .0095 inches of tool movement.
    They do have more precise reductions (<1 minute backlash), but only in the inline format. Cant have a motor sticking out the side, can we?

My question for you is: Does anyone sell shorter,more compact spindles with the taper fixture for ATC installed? I would like to find a 5HP spindle, less than 10 inches long, with tool-holder fixture installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uglystick.jpg  

spoiledbrat,

I am a novice at this stuff (my hobby) and I do not know a place to find a combo spindle and tool changer with a shorter length. I like your design.

What are right angle reduction units? What is the advantages of a right angle reduction over using a stepper motor directly connected (no gears) to the swivel unit? What are the advantages to a 10:1 reduction unit?

The one problem I see in using your method for my CNC is that the gantry or y-axis will be in the way when the spindle rotates. What would be a good solution to this problem?

I was thinking of building a hobby/cheaper version of the tri-tech 5th axis head which allows the spindle to be stationary and the head unit can swivel. But this project is not as easy to build as your idea.

Thanks,

right angle reduction

A 10:1 reduction accomplishes two things.
    1. Torque is multiplied by 10, holding the spindle against any resistance
    2. Using a 4000 line encoder, you end up with 40,000 "indexes" or positions.

I think....