586,075 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need a faster hole

Good Morning, I am looking for help with new drill or other idea for a 304ss job. The material is bought as a 10 inch slug and i am running the job on an Okuma ES-L10. Simply im putting a hole 2.1 Deep Using a 2.0" insert drill for a ruffing operation. My cycle time ruff and finish is 14 min. From what my boss is telling me I need to be half that and the drill is eating up a good chunk of time....

Any suggestions on tools or best practice that can help me get that down.

Thank you

You could pre-drill the hole with say a 1/2 - 1" prior to the 2" so that it doesn't need to center cut. Or single point rough it from a smaller drill out to finish with a different tool. Large drills are not always efficient at removing hard materials in one pass.

If your Boss states the cycle time needs to be cut in half, why has he not stepped up to the plate and given his expertice on how it should be done?

Did someone else select the tools to use and job sequence for the quote?

DC

Call in your local cutting tool rep. I work for a major carbide company. If you have decent thru coolant you should be able to do it quickly. You can normally go 1 times the diameter without thru coolant with indexable drills. You do need flood coolant though. One of our indexable drills would run around 800-955 RPM's with 15 IPM feed. RPM's and coolant are the two most important items with indexable drills.

Depending on the machine you could also ramp mill the hole pretty quick but you need air to keep from recutting the chips.

If you are using an Insert Tipped drill (UDrill in my part of the world) and it is taking so long to drill the initial hole I would suggest the you have both the wrong grade of insert for the material and also the wrong speeds and feeds.
    For example, Using a Sandvik 880 Style UDrill with 4044 GR Style outer insert and standard program inner insert, A rough starting point S&F calculation (from the Sadvik website) would give the following data: Spindle Speed=1025 RPM, Feed=0.13mm/Rev (133mm/Min).
    Thus for a 50mm drill penetrating 53mm cycle time would be around 24seconds!
    Would THAT be fast enough for the Pointed Headed one?
    The key to high speeds and feeds is PLENTY of high pressure coolant delivered thru the tool to the cutting edge.

I also agree with the comment re Who Quoted the job? Get THEM to show you how to get the time they quoted and then stand back and be amazed or shocked (depending on whether they crash and burn or succeed!).

Do not be afraid to use the tool reps of your local suppliers, they should know the tooling they sell and if they dont, swap top someone who does and is willing to help you. That way you win and they also win.
    Cheers
    Brian.

OH forgot... Udrills usually Hate a predrilled starting hole.