586,033 active members*
3,559 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > EndMill Operation question

Unhappy EndMill Operation question

I am new to this community and also relatively new to the software so any help you can give will be appreciated.

I am trying to mill a part using an endmill. I can go into machine mode and choose the endmill parameters and then choose the profile. Since the bit is small, I want to mill the area in 8 or 9 steps and also use a slow feed rate and plunge force (?)

The problem is that after each pass the simulation shows the mill returning to its home postion (which is quarter inch above the top surface) instead of going through all the passes in one smooth motion. Due to this problem the total milling time becomes extremely long.

I know there is are some setting within roughing window (or otherwise) that I am not using properly since I have in the past been able to do exactly what I want to repeat for this design but I can't figure out what those setting were.

I am using windows xp with edgecam 11.

When you edit the roughing cycle , on the approach page change the link method to "stay at depth" or change the "type" from clearance to optimised

Thanks Rider, I tried that but it didn't help although I agree that this should be the option for what I want to do.

Any other possibilities or settings that might be overriding this option?

Try making the changes to your aproach settings then go to the first page and renter your coord inputs, (containment etc.) highlight all the avaiable choices, and reselect them on the screen.

Are you creating multiple sequences? or are you doing multiple passes on your milling profile?

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

DONT USE THE EDGECAM OPERATIONS.... USE THE CYCLE.
    STAY AT DEPTH SHOULD WORK....
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST