586,103 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Swapping out the 3 phase motor

I did a search, and could find much on this, so if there are links out there, or advice thanks in advance.

The origional motor is 575V 3 phase, and because of cost, will be swapping it out.

The easiest is changing to a 220V 1 phase 2 hp motor currently on sale.

The other option is to swap in a Leeson DC 3/4 hp motor in order to have infinite speed control, but I know sweet nadda about Dc motor controller or drives. The motor is a 90 volt unit

Would it also be possible to have an RPM display built in as well?

Thanks,
    Ken J

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy976 View Post
    I did a search, and could find much on this, so if there are links out there, or advice thanks in advance.

The origional motor is 575V 3 phase, and because of cost, will be swapping it out.

The easiest is changing to a 220V 1 phase 2 hp motor currently on sale.

The other option is to swap in a Leeson DC 3/4 hp motor in order to have infinite speed control, but I know sweet nadda about Dc motor controller or drives. The motor is a 90 volt unit

Would it also be possible to have an RPM display built in as well?

Thanks,
    Ken J
    Ken,

Keep the 3-phase motor, and buy a VFD - It'll let you run your 3-phase motor from a single-phase line, and give you variable speed - with display. For a 2HP motor, it'll cost you well under $200. (Look at the TECO FM50s at factorymation.com).

Regards,
    Ray L.

Keeping the motor is probably not an option if it is 575v.
    You will need both motor and VFD if going that route.
    The 1 phase motor will not give you electronic variable speed.
    The leeson maybe well underpowered if it is only 3/4hp.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The problem is the 575 voltage the origional motor requires, I need a transformer to step the voltage up from household 220. And the origional motor is 3/4 horse.

Quotes are around 600 to 900 bucks for both a transfomer and a phase converter. Im not spending that.

Even if I want to keep 3 phase, I have to get a different 3 phase motor.

The DC motor was 80 bucks, I either use it here or somewhere else. The price of a motor drive should be less than the VFD. Basic internet search looks like about 100 to 150 for a drive board. With the DC you get all the power with the speed control.

So my options are,

1) use the DC motor which I have from a trade, but need motor controller, which I know squat about.....

2) buy a 220V face mount motor currently on sale, and its 2 hp so lots of power, and I still have all the pulleys for the different speeds, as was the origional setup,,, bolt it up and go, but no reverse switching,,

3) find another 3 phase that fits, must be the right voltage,,, and then get a VFD

KJ

you must have been reading my mind Al,,,

question tho.......

if the origional 3P motor was 3/4 horse,,, should a DC 3/4 not provide the same power (torque)??

if its underpowered, the 1P 220V 2 horse motor should have gobs to spare, and there are still the pulleys which were needed to use with the origional motor.

KJ

I see you have a duplicate thread going, now you mention the original was only 3/4hp you could use the DC motor, you need to get a KB or Baldor DC drive.
    These can be had on ebay.
    Or from you local KB/Baldor rep.
    These do not normally come with speed indication as does a VFD, although a VFD only indicates the speed (frequency) it is outputting, unless it has the encoder option, it is not exact rpm.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy976 View Post
    The problem is the 575 voltage the origional motor requires, I need a transformer to step the voltage up from household 220. And the origional motor is 3/4 horse.

Quotes are around 600 to 900 bucks for both a transfomer and a phase converter. Im not spending that.

Even if I want to keep 3 phase, I have to get a different 3 phase motor.

The DC motor was 80 bucks, I either use it here or somewhere else. The price of a motor drive should be less than the VFD. Basic internet search looks like about 100 to 150 for a drive board. With the DC you get all the power with the speed control.

So my options are,

1) use the DC motor which I have from a trade, but need motor controller, which I know squat about.....

2) buy a 220V face mount motor currently on sale, and its 2 hp so lots of power, and I still have all the pulleys for the different speeds, as was the origional setup,,, bolt it up and go, but no reverse switching,,

3) find another 3 phase that fits, must be the right voltage,,, and then get a VFD

KJ
    Oops! I missed the goofy voltage. Go to www.surpluscenter.com. They usually have several DC motor controllers for under $100, suitable for at least 1HP. These are very popular:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric - you'll want the heat sink for it as well.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

They also have a number of 3-phase motors for cheap.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks Al and Ray,,,

Cheers,
    KJ