586,121 active members*
3,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

window channel and nylon

Hey all (first post after months of reading).

I am in the process of gathering materials, and planning to build a cnc router. I am going for a hybrid window channel/ drill rod and bearings machine.

I was at a local place looking for bearings, and just happened to ask if they had any plastic or metal sheets, they sell bearings, gears, pulleys etc so it was a long shot. But she had some nylon that they got by mistake 4-5 years ago real cheap. It's about a inch thick and maybe 2 and a half inches wide (don't have a ruler handy) in strips 121 inches long. I got a stick hoping that it would work with the window channel and also for leadscrew nuts both of which it is perfect for. it is about a 1/4 of an inch taller than my window channel when placed on the ends where the bearings go, its to narrow for the sliding part, but might be able to use 2 strips and something across the top for that, and i think it will be perfect for leadsrew nuts.

Anyway it's dirt cheap and they have around 50 sticks of this stuff left, so if anyone else is building a window channel based machine and is looking for something for the endcaps, and leadscrew nuts I might pick up some more of this and chop it up for shipping, if it will work. I'll also post some pictures if there is any interest.

Will nylon be ok for the leadsrew nuts?

I could use some nylon like that!
    What city? Maybe they ship?
    Thanks

London, KY

At the price of this stuff I doubt they would bother, but I could buy a bundle of it and handle the shipping.

Let me get some pictures, and better dimensions before anything else.

OK, that's great. Maybe I could buy 8 or 10 of them to make it
    worth the effort. What were they selling at ? Lumber prices ?

-Les

Quote Originally Posted by ShayArnett
    London, KY

At the price of this stuff I doubt they would bother, but I could buy a bundle of it and handle the shipping.

Let me get some pictures, and better dimensions before anything else.