586,308 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Advice on cutting bits for wood please?

Advice on cutting bits for wood please?

I have a homemade router machine. I primarily make wooden signs. some with artwork, carvings, etc.. I am working with Maple, Oak, Red cedar, and Redwood. My cutting tool is a Rotozip RZ-1. The cutter runs at 33000 rpm. There is no speed control on it. My machine runs at 36 ipm. It's Not having any trouble cutting with rotozip sabre bits but I'm looking for an endmill as it will produce smoother bottomed pockets.

First of all, Would it benefit me to put a router speed control on the Rotozip?
    If so, what speeds would you suggest for the woods above? (usually a 1/8" rotozip or endmill, or 1/4" router bit (roughing) or 1/2" 90 degree V bit.)

Next, When I look for endmills I want "centercutting" correct? (is this plunge capability)?
    Would carbide be a good choice for longevity?
    What about 2, 3 ,4 or 6, flute? Any preference? Does one cut better or last longer than the others? What about upcut?

And finally, Where is a good place to buy these bits at a decent price?

Thanks very much for any advice, Jeff

I like to use upcut endmills, they pull the material out while they cut because of the up spiral design and also provide a nice clean cut. Bits seem to be pretty spendy anywhere you go, I usually purchase them at a woodworking shop or they can be found at woodworking fairs on sale, I picked up a few 1/8 inch bits there, those seem to be the most useful bit for me. I also like to cut signs. Good luck!