586,096 active members*
3,721 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G0602 Lathe conversion

I have a Grizzley G0602 (10X22) lathe that I would like to convert to CNC.

I also have an X3 mill that I will want to convert later using 425 oz-in steppers and 203V gecko drivers. I will be doing the lathe first and I am thinking about using the same steppers on the lathe. I think they might be a bit over kill but I would be able to use the same power supply and geckos. What is the down side to to oversizing the steppers ?

oversizing the steppers will reduce thier usable top speed(rpm), but if thier making more torque than you need you could allways gear them up using belts and pullys to increase the speed.

I'm not sure, but i would at least research a bit more about using that motor on the z axis of the x3, it may be on the small side..

also, when you do your x3 are you going to use ballscrews, or use the leadscrews that came in it? this can make a diff too...

If you havent yet, check out cncfusion's x3 balscrew kits, i have the basic 3 axis ballscrew one, and i'm super happy with it... Michael is a great guy and really helped me out when i didnt understand something....(like how to put all the balls back inside a ballscrew when you drop them on the carpet!)
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoggyTurnip View Post
    I have a Grizzley G0602 (10X22) lathe that I would like to convert to CNC.

I also have an X3 mill that I will want to convert later using 425 oz-in steppers and 203V gecko drivers. I will be doing the lathe first and I am thinking about using the same steppers on the lathe. I think they might be a bit over kill but I would be able to use the same power supply and geckos. What is the down side to to oversizing the steppers ?
    Im doing a x3 conversion with the cncfusion and im very happy with the service that comes with the kit. It seems grossly overpriced, but once you see how many parts there are, each requiring cnc milling, the price of the ballscrews ballnuts and turning, then him having to deal with noobs like me, i don't see how he makes any money (nuts) It seems to be a good price considering you get great customer support.

if you have access to that kick arse lathe, i would definably go with cadmonkeys x3 cnc conversion I can link you if you can't find it.

just a thought