586,102 active members*
2,555 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Threading with a lathe, Limitations?

Threading with a lathe, Limitations?

Hey,

So a few months ago my boss bought some stuff for threading using the lathe (Haas TL-1) He bought a tool holder and some triangle inserts. What i'm curious about is how many TPI can you get from triangles with nose radii of 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64. Also do they make any trinagles with even smaller nose radii to get even more TPI?
    -JWB
    --We Ain't Building Pianos (TCNJ Baja 2008)

Learn how to grind a HSS - 60deg tool bit. Look in your MHB.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof, I'll definitely have to persuade the boss man to purchase me a variety of those.

One more question though. Can I use the U Type inserts in my Existing 30 Degree rake Triangle Insert Tool Holder or am i better of Getting a Threading inset Holder and going with the regular Type?
    -JWB
    --We Ain't Building Pianos (TCNJ Baja 2008)

With our current equipment, two limitations I have found with CNC lathe threading are; thread chasing without software ability to resync the pitch and captive worm threading (no entry or exit) where there isn't room for synchronizing within a groove of less than 2 thread pitch wide either end of the thread.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    ... two limitations I have found with CNC lathe threading are....DC
    Good thing I wrote 'virtually no'...

JWB get the correct threading holders left and right ID and OD. Yes it does cost a few dollars initially but how much time have you wasted dicking around with a diehead to no good purpose? I know I have a different perspective then many boss mans because not only do I authorise the expenditure I know the value of it in terms of improved productivity; you just have to figure out how to present requests in terms of the time and money saved not the up front cost.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Good thing I wrote 'virtually no'...
    Sorry Geof, I couldn't resist disclosing the limitation that are a real fly in the ointment to me. Reality begins what the virtual leaves off. Not unlike subterfuge when a salesman declines to mention when you didn't know you should have asked for specific limitations. Later you find out certain functions are impractical on the new fancy equipment where the long gone, old tried and true could be part of the trade off.

I do love what the CNC's can do over the manuals as far as taper threading and fairly infinite pitch, but the manuals do still earn their keep in my prototype R&D or rework applications.

DC