586,283 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > cleaning lubrication system metering valves

cleaning lubrication system metering valves

I have the showa PSS metering units. The metering units were in need of a clean.
    I was told that they should just be replaced, one price I got was around 20 quid[pounds] each and there are in excess of 25 of them.

I wondered if any one had cleaned them successfuly. I stripped them and pumped filtered petrol through the filter backwards. It took several goes for a resonable stream to flow through the filter in the correct direction. But the filter is probably still full of the crud. I was tempted to buy one, so I could cut the filter open on one of my old ones and see what it looks like.

I have four on my Hardinge lathe (different manufacturer - Bijur FSA0 & FSA1), I broke one of the small collet/spacers (like your brass one above, except mine was hardened steel and cracked). I fully understand your use of bad words

Mine have a small felt filter on top of a fine gause. I teased the felt out with a needle cleaned it and replaced it. However, I could not get anything to flow through the things.

A guy on the practicle mechinist site said they are standard parts in the US (i.e. a few dollars). He also suggested that they are pressure sensitve, so that nothing much will flow until the pressure is fairly high (I tried air @ 80psi!). I guess he's right; if the pin is tapered, with enough pressure, it would move and allow a small controlled flow of oil.

If you find a low cost supplier please post here (I will do the same).

Bill
    Bill

Found a US supplier with Uk distro - no Idea of cost yet (have sent email)

http://devcocorp.com/american/bijurmeters.htmhttp://devcocorp.com/american/bijurmeters.htm

[edit] $21.05 each plus shipping minimum order 10off

[edit2] Found a US ebay supplier Central Suplus he has Bijur metering units for £3.51 each but UPS shipping is £21 ! (OK is you need 25, not so good if you need just one )

[edit3] Central surplus have kindly agreed to ship a few of these first class for ~£12 so that's me sorted

If you check the number on your PSS device it should correspond to the flow rate of the Bijur units. The three letter code signifies threads etc. (see here: http://www.bijurdelimon.com/productd...nits_DS(4).pdf) for details.
    Bill