586,089 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ArtCam Pro > ARTCAM Too Many Vector Errors
Page 1 of 2 12

ARTCAM Too Many Vector Errors

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Forums so be gentle with me!!!

I'm using Artcam Pro for the first time, I have drawn a picture of a traction engine using the excelent vectoring graphics available in Artcam. The problem I am having is when I try to create the toolpath I get the error

Failed to calculate centre line at X(Value) Y(Value)

I worked out that it is a problem with two joining vectors. So I tried to repair it using the vector doctor this came up with over 600 errors. I was prepaired to work round it and repair each one individually because the fix problems radio button was "Greyed out" Fortunately I tried repairing a few (so I thought) but when I wen't back to Vector Doctor the ones I thought I had repaired were still circled (In Red) and had no obvious problems. I also noticed that there were red circles which I assume are the problem areas on independant circles, these circles were small, representing the panel rivits.

I know that increasing the tolerances should help but they did nothing until I got to somewhere around 5mm then the picture was ruined by the vector lines joining up with other vectors some distance away.

There is one point I should mention, I do not have the finances to enjoy owning a copy of this lushous software so I am using a very good friends works computer so my access to it is extreemely limmited to out of business hours, so I may take a few days to try any solutions and get back to you.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can save my receding hair line:violin:

same kind of problems here Clackvalve, a $7000.00 plus software and it can't it even fix simple errors it makes me wonder how can they justify their price been so high, I personally don't own it I work for somebody who does, but still the frustrations are just too many, now that i tried the software and know the problems that it has I would not buy it or recomend it,

Reply 1

Yep, I toltally agree ASDASD How do they sell the product? the guys in there marketing dept. must be really good at there job. Trouble is there is not much to choose from at the high end is there. I was told that EMC for linux is prety good and free but it means another piece of software to learn.

There is some kind of comfort there, knowing that it is not just me having the problem, so thanks for the comment ASDASD.

Quote Originally Posted by Clackvalve View Post
    (snip).....there is not much to choose from at the high end is there.
    I've never used ArtCam, but I'm a loyal fan of the Vectric products, I own all of them! I think you could consider Aspire at the high end, but soooooo easy to use, and with a much smaller price tag than Artcam. Or you can start at Cut2D and work upwards to Aspire. Just m2c. Usual Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated to Vectric yada yada yada...... http://www.vectric.com/

So how much have you used ArtCAM? Not much I'm assuming. I understand the frustration. But to expect to push a button and get "perfect" vector lines from a bitmap or jpeg is naive. Clackvalve can you post the picture your looking to cut?
    Shouldn't let YOUR inexperience shape your judgment of anything you do in life. ArtCAM is a vary powerful and capable software package. Your just going to have to learn how to use it.

As for Ventric. It looks like a great program. Some of designers worked at ArtCAM. So it has alot of similarities in layout and function. Being so reasonably priced I would have probably gone that route ( no pun intended). Even at that ArtCAM has paid for itself many,many times over. Software will only be as good as the user. There's alot to learn in order to maximize work flow. It just takes time, patience and dedication.

Todd
    www.innovative-accents.com

hi, todd71
    i work in the sign industry and i will admit I am new to artcam too, but not to a vector based software i.e. illustrator, flexisign and corel to mentioned a few and all of these programs can fix any overlaping or crossing vectors in 2 steps the disadvantage that they have is not been able to write the gcode, now artcam its price way up there and if the software developers haven't been able to fix these little bugs from the begining why put the product out on the market, and I am here because I need help with the software too and i seem some of the answers to this problemm, but it just to many steps for something so simple.

good software is as good as the operator, but great software is great for its ease of use not for its price

Well you could always import the vector files from adobe,corel,etc. into ArtCAM. I don't really see why you would need to use the bit map to vector function any way. There are better more time efficient ways to do it with in ArtCAM any how. What are you doing? Got any examples? Just curious as to what your problem actually is. All I've read so far is a bunch of whining.

Cool

Todd,

Your wasting your time explaining why you and I, not to mention 20,000 other Delcam users praise Artcam.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

hi guyz...
    it's a useless arguing on softwares... what 's true, artcam vectric corel and all for example use the bezier...oops.... so what? no one of them invented..
    everyone just use what they've got used... but it's one thing of the many...
    it's really not nice to says bad of another program...
    todd, for you just so few, what vectric use, those algorhytm are DIFFERENT what's in the artcam, but if you have different opinion, give it on right place... and one more thing, artcam users complain on the vectric similar interface... you know, a program just like a car, so just because the chevy use four wheel and one steeringwheeel, the ford posted be use 3 wheel and 2 steerinwheel, make sure different from another... this is what artcam users try to suggest...
    if you think vectric has stolen something, as many artcam users suggest on the artcam site, my best think is you're on wrong way...
    your problem probably the ten of thoushands you paid, and others get it right now for fraction...
    what you all can do with artcam, bfore hundreds of years, people made without computer by hand...

someone here asked for help.... and instead help ya all started some different...

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    it's really not nice to says bad of another program...
    todd, for you just so few, what vectric use, those algorhytm are DIFFERENT what's in the artcam, but if you have different opinion, give it on right place... and one more thing, artcam users complain on the vectric similar interface... you know, a program just like a car, so just because the chevy use four wheel and one steeringwheeel, the ford posted be use 3 wheel and 2 steerinwheel, make sure different from another... this is what artcam users try to suggest...
    if you think vectric has stolen something, as many artcam users suggest on the artcam site, my best think is you're on wrong way...
    your problem probably the ten of thoushands you paid, and others get it right now for fraction...
    what you all can do with artcam, bfore hundreds of years, people made without computer by hand...

someone here asked for help.... and instead help ya all started some different...
    It sure would help if your grammar was better. I NEVER said ventric stole from ArtCAM. And I'm in no way bashing them or for that matter defending ArtCAM. I even said "Being so reasonably priced I would have probably gone that route ( no pun intended)." My point is, inexperience with ArtCAM is what the problem is. Not so much the software. Is there better vector manipulating software? I'm sure there is. I've NEVER said anything different.
    I'm more than willing to help. Post a sample. What are you trying to do? I help where I can and always have.
    As for this comment "your problem probably the ten of thoushands you paid, and others get it right now for fraction..." For starters ArtCAM cost $7500 and the fact is I couldn't care less what I paid for ArtCAM or even what Ventric cost. See once you recoup the cost of your investment, who cares. ArtCAM has more than paid for itself.

And Victor as for this comment "someone here asked for help.... and instead help ya all started some different... "
    I'll have to quote myself. "All I've read so far is a bunch of whining."

Jeff,
    "Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."

Awesome quote :cheers:

MMMMmmmmmm!!!

Hi Guys,

Well, Firstly Tod71, Yes I am prety new to the hobby and of course Artcam, but with the utmost respect please don't patronise me, I am not an idiot.

Can I sugest that maybe you read my original post again. I did mention that I drew the engine from scratch in Artcam and is 100% vectored graphics.

I did not copy or import a bitmap at any point, nor did I expect to "press a button" and everything would be fixed, I simply could not find a way of repairing the reported problems, after spending some 20 odd hours reading the help files and trawling the net. I thought it might be a good idea to join the largest CNC group on the net and ask for help.

You intemate that you are an experienced Artcam user but you have not given me any reason why I am having this problem or offered any solution or help!

Thkoutsidethebox, WoW you are one lucky guy, I have downloaded the trial copy of Vectrix, I am prety impressed so far, I think It'll be the way I go too.

I never said you were an idiot. Just ignorant. Now that you say you drew the offending vectors yourself its self evident. Whats the problem? Looped vectors, crossed vectors, open vectors? There are easy ways to fix all that. But if youd done it right to begin with you wouldn't be having these problems. Post a picture. Lets see what you got going on. Heck post the ArtCAM file or dxf. You want help here it is. By the way what does "intemate" mean?

Cool

Clackvalve,

Post the file, I'll have a look at it.

I too don't own the software but I have access to it on a friend's computer.

TM

hi

sorry todd.... it's not against you personally, i don't know you...
    i just felt on this forum also will developing some "discuss" about programs...
    me, basically respect all people, who can establish a working program...
    a cad-cam.... hmmm. they are the top with special computing....
    so i don't try to find out different between..

otherwise i saw your website, looks great...with those tasks you realy don't have to worry on cost, just make sure it's working...

my grammar... you know i'm just a comi pig of the former east block... so it's all i could got of english... before 2000 i never speaks , never learned...
    my wife still unable to pronunce my family name.... after 6 year marry...

so.... i like to read about cnc, and all associated things,,, i have router, i can operate, also i can operate several cad program/... the artcam took a whole day to download and get working... i made some simple model, tried out most options... with toolpathgeneration.... my computer got frozen .....
    next weekend i tried the rival program and that was working simpler (for me)

got earlier a ready model out, and even the toolpathgeneration was faster and easyer... but again, it's my experience and not a statement...

all program different some way, and really takes a lot what program you get use...

and just for last... mostly i keep back to posting.. in life i had to solve all my problem myself... and my solution might don't works for others..

Victor,
    No worries. I figured there was some kind of miscommunication.
    I honestly didn't mean to sound demeaning about your grammar.
    It just took me awhile to figure out what was going on.
    I do have one problem though
    "you know i'm just a comi pig of the former east block..."
    Come on Victor. I dont know that or believe it for one second.
    Hold your head high buddy. Your pursuing your ambitions.
    Your moving ahead with every word read and letter you type.

I'm still not even sure how this thread got out of hand. In hindsight
    throwing around words like "whining" and "ignorant" maybe harsh. But I just call it like I see it.
    When a guy that is
    >"... using a very good friends works computer so my access to it is extreemely limmited to out of business hours....."
    and another guy that
    >"...personally don't own it I work for somebody who does..."
    Say things like
    >"now that i tried the software and know the problems that it has I would not buy it or recomend it,"
    and
    >"the guys in there marketing dept. must be really good at there job."

It sounds ignorant. And I not referring to the misspellings. Just because you don't know how to use ArtCAM effectively doesn't mean it wont do what you want. Even Clackvalve's original post doesn't give enough information to offer any guidance beyond what he's gotten so far. >"can you post the picture your looking to cut?". Which was in my original response.

Best of luck Victor,
    Todd Houston
    www.innovative-accents.com

Enough.

OK, Todd17, I see you have a lot of anger, and are taking things a little too personal, I did not join here to be insulted, I just wanted some help.

So this will be my last message on CNCZone I will not reply to any furthur messages but to those of you who did help thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clackvalve View Post
    OK, Todd17, I see you have a lot of anger, and are taking things a little too personal, I did not join here to be insulted, I just wanted some help.

So this will be my last message on CNCZone I will not reply to any furthur messages but to those of you who did help thank you.
    I'm not angry. Mildly amused is more like it. And I don't see where I've insulted you at all. A fact is a fact. You do not have enough experience to make the statements you've made about ArtCAM. Considering your problems are self inflicted you would have the same problems with any CAM software. Your vectors "need" to be closed with no loops. I've asked direct questions and requested a sample or some type of file related to your problem. And all you've done is accuse me of hurting your feelings. Welcome to the shop floor. Where work gets done and problems get solved. You want a hug and a kiss on the cheek? Go see the receptionist. Post the file and I'll show you how to fix it. End of story.

Question

Todd,

Where does the line start for the "Hugs and Kisses" (nuts)

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Clackvalve,
    Don't go.I've had trouble with the artcam myself,though the more I work at it the easier it gets and its amazing what it can do.Todd71 is my co-worker,imagine the abuse I go through LOL

Page 1 of 2 12