586,533 active members*
2,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCam Machining Solid Drawing

MasterCam Machining Solid Drawing

I really need some quick advice here. I have been struggling with this problem for days with no easy solution.

I created a part in Solid works (see photo) and all is well.

I bring the part into MasterCam and apply my tool paths (see photo)

In the verify some of the pocket cuts are NOT extending to the edge as drawn (see photo)

I have tried to extend the pockets past the cutout in SW but does not work.
    I have tried various pocket cutting solutions without a fix.

I understand why the cut stops short of clearing the material because of the tool diameter but this problem is driving me crazy.

PLEASE HELP!!!
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back mc tool.jpg   back mc v1.jpg   back mc v2.jpg   back sw.jpg  

try chaining the features like the red lines in the pic. you can use 2 contour operations to cut all the features and simply use lead in/out and rough/finish setting to get all the stock. if that makes no sense please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sample.jpg  

did you setup your stock correcty in stock setup.
    Share the file I am sure I can answer in a min or so.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hello kesparate,

Thanks for your reply! I have been checking my email hoping for help since I wrote for some.

Do you mean I should overlap the lines for the 2 opposing directions of the pockets in the drawing then chain them a seperates?

Right now when I select for the pocket, I use 3d and set it up to chain face then click on the pocket face.

Thanks
    Steve

I think I did. How can I share the file?

Ok I had to Zip it first. See if you can get to it.

THANKS!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

yup stock set up was not done so the pic had me fooled a bit. take a look at this i added one tool path bt left your's alone. i would use this method to do the other side and even the middle as you have the space to spare
    otherwise just create a little over run geometry to extend your pocket out to the point where teh tool cleans up teh stock. no time for spell check womans calling....
    Attached Files Attached Files

WOW! Brilliant.

1 line and a new pocket path. I get it now. THANK YOU!

after you draw the connecting line, how exactly do you go about chaining it. I am having a problem selecting exacly what I need.

THANKS AGAIN!

in the chaining dialog select cplane and partial chain. then you pick first and last line taking care to get the chain going the right direction and help it follow the path at the branch. with a few more lines you can extend the ends of the two side grooves and use the same pocketing tool path you used originally.

Question 2 - Nesting Solids

Hello kesparate ,

Since you are so good at teaching me stuff I thought I would push my luck and ask you another unrelated question.

Here it is...
    Can I nest together parts that contain solids. When I try using the nesting toolpath function, I get an error about solids not being supported????

THANKS!
    Steve

Steve I am sorry to say mastercam does not support nesting of solids.ATP (Automatic Tool Paths) is just starting to support 3d geo. there is nesting of tool paths and nesting of Geo along with standard nesting and true shap nesting all diffrent ways for Mastercam to handle nesting of parts.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hello Cadcam and thanks for the quick reply!

Bummer!

I did read about the ATP add-on in the help section but dont have it.

Can I easly convert my cutting path to 2D and retain all my cut depths, Its all cut in 2d anyways, and just uses the 3d data for some of the tool path depths.

If so, please be detail how to convert, I am just learning

Thanks
    Steve

if you just want to create an array of these parts at a specific spacing you can use the transform option under the toolpaths menu. if you want the really fancy nesting function with all the optimized material usage stuff you're going to have to find some one with skillz. i'v never used any of those functions.

if you use the transform option to create an array i suggest you check the tab marked copy source operations and the sub-tab to suppress posting of source operations. also make sure you have all the operations you want to be included in the transform check in the dialog.

What I am wanting to do is put multiple part files on a single sheet of material to be cut. With the transform tool I think you can only create multiple of only that (one) part.

The array toolpath also works on a part containing solids, but you cannot add a source from a file or MC complains,

I guess I can group the parts before making toolpaths in MC but I thought it would be much nicer to choose what to cut right in MC.

So yes I may want the fancy nesting options or figure a easy way to remove the solids geo from my parts so I can use the regular parts nesting toolpath

Steve

have you looked at geo nesting first then doing the paths?
    Cadcam

It has occurred to me to gang the parts together then make the tool paths but decided against it because the quanity of the needed parts will change often and I dont want to make a new one for each time we need something cut.

It's a pain in the rear but what I am doing right now until a better idea comes up is to convert all my solids over to 2D art using the MC layout function (probley not the best) and then making the tool path manually and save.

This way I can at lease use the nesting function to order up parts as needed.

Any new ways to handle this is more than welcome.

I guess there are some 3rd party chooks that do what I want, but no budget for now.

Steve

I think I am going to put something up over in the Solidworks forum and ask how others are handling there 3D gang jobs in MC

Steve

Steve no disrespect but why do you think the SW folks would have a better understanding of solids in Mastercam?

if there was an automated way to support nesting of solids in true shape nesting I would Know. there has been talk of this more then once among dealers of Mastercam and CNC software.

There is a short coming right now of not supporting Solids in nesting.

You have to bring the solids in and place them your self and program the parts. I am sorry to say.

or if you have all ready programed the parts in different files , then you can make one file a master then import the othere in to this file with there geo and compile one file with all the programs and models you have all ready done then post as a single file.

Also you may want to ask over at Emastercam.com if others have a better way.

Cadcam
    Cadcam

Hi,

I was not trying to imply that the folks here did not know somthing the Solidworks guys do.

I was asking the solidworks people how to flaten my 3d stuff instead of using the MC layout function.

Some how this was not taken this way by others and I am sorry!

Thanks for everything