586,754 active members*
7,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > High School Project - Jewelry Box with Inlays

High School Project - Jewelry Box with Inlays

Hey everyone,

I'm a junior in high school and I really enjoy woodworking. Currently I am taking Materials Processing and Machine Programming 2, which is essentially a woodshop class. For our first project we had to build a jewelry box.

Most kids made theirs out of poplar and then stained them. I decided to make mine out of mahogany. I'm more of a walnut guy, but I had never worked with mahogany before so I thought I would give it a try.

I decided to do some walnut and maple stripe inlays, which were very easy and I was able to get them to fit very tightly with no gaps.

I then decided to put a purpleheart heart inlay on the front of the box. My school has a laser CNC so I cut both the vector outline for the heart in the box and the inlay itself using the laser. The fit is almost perfect, but the laser wouldn't allow me to account for the kerf of the laser, which is very small but does leave a gap.

On the top of the box I am going to inlay my girlfriend's name in walnut. Once again the laser left a gap so the inlay isn't perfect.

Questions: Regarding the inlays:
    - 1) What should I use to glue the inlays in? Some websites recommend cyanoacrylate, and others epoxy, but would Titebond II work?
    - 2) What do I use to fill the gaps? I have seen that many people recommend fine saw dust and cyanoacrylate.
    - 3) If I fill the gaps using cyanoacrylate, do I need to preseal the wood?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Box and Base.JPG   Script Inlay Test Cut.JPG   Script Inlay.JPG   Heart Inlay In.JPG  

Heart Inlay Out.JPG   Jewelry Box Progress Picture.JPG   Heart Inlay Test Cuts.JPG  

1) depends on how you're going to finish it. Both ca and epoxy can darken the surrounding wood, but an oil or laquer finish should end up the same color, making the glue invisible. Tightbond would work fine, but keeping it from squeezing out all over would be difficult.

2) Sawdust and ca would work. However, those gaps appear to be rather large, and you'll probably see the black burn lines after you fill it. You might want to try filling with epoxy, tinted black, which would give a nice thin black outline around the inlays, and hide the burned edges. But you'll need to seal everything good before filling, so the black epoxy doesn't stain the surrounding wood. Practice on a scrap piece first!!

3) Again, depends on the finish. Test on some scrap. put some glue on the scrap, and when dry, finish it. If you can see the glue, then you need to seal first.

I've also filled gaps with sawdust and polyurethane glue, and sawdust and epoxy. Even sawdust and tightbond will work, but again, depending on the finish used, results can vary. Good luck.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gaps in Inlay

I think you should re-program the inlays and allow for the gap. If you can lay out the lettering and heart in whatever program you used, you should be able to offset the geometry to allow for the gap. Try a sample in some scrap- about .005-.01" offset should compensate for the laser line; this needs to be done with routers also. Filling gaps with glue and sawdust is never a pretty sight in woodworking projects.

I'm with Rico55. You can probably get the correct fit that way. Nothing looks better than good fit.

Are you sure the software doesn't have a place to enter an "offset" value? You would also tell it inside or outside.

John

Pictures

Some pictures of the build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Heart Inlay.JPG   Broken Box.JPG   Box Second Glue Up.JPG   Harbor Freight Clamp Test.JPG  

Mitre Joint Close Up.JPG   Tape Worked Better Than Clamps.JPG   Box Tape Test Fit.JPG   Box Tape Test Fit 2.JPG  

Box Sides Taped Bottom View.JPG   Box Sides Taped Top View.JPG   Box Sides Taped.JPG   Glued Mitre Joint.JPG  

Third Glue Up.JPG   Glueing Purpleheart Inlay.JPG   Glued Purple Heart Inlay.JPG   Purpleheart Inlay Sanded Flush.JPG  

Purpleheart Inlay Close Up.JPG   Script Inlay Test Fit.JPG   Box Progress Picture 2.JPG   Script Inlay Sanded Flush.JPG  

Script Inlay Close Up.JPG   Cyanoacrylate Inlay Filling.JPG   Inlay Fill Close Up.JPG   Script Inlay Pre-Sanding.JPG  

Script Inlay Sanded and Filled.JPG  

Wow, that looks great, nice job.