586,409 active members*
3,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > g540 and power supply

g540 and power supply

why does the info pdf say to not switch the power supply off on the dc side and only kill the power supply via the ac input or it will damage the drive? I was about to order one but stopped due to this...i run pure dc no power supplies.. i use a bank of 8 trojan 125t deeps cycle 6v batteries for a 48v supply i started using this after two problem found with switching power supplies i had a a weird hi-pitch noise coming from my steppers and losing steps during a diag of the system i disconnected the power supply and used too car batteries i had laying around instantly the steppers where whisper quiet and ran way cooler, the miss steppes turned out to be something else but love how smooth and quiet and cooler steppers run on battery dc vs a switching power supply....I've tryed 3 different power supplies and there is no comparison batteries are better, so that said and the fact i have 800 dollars of battery's set up to run 3 other mills why can i not kill the dc power on a g540? i do on my other drives? when i shut them down??

Inrush current.

Going from 0V to 48VDC in 1 microsecond into 600uF (150uF per drive) requires 28,800 Amps! Use an inrush current limit thermistor (high resistance when cold, low resistance when hot). They are inexpensive and easily available.

Mariss

any idea on what size ???

any idea on what size or rating to get ?? also my bank of batteries are ratted at 48v ie 6v per battery but in reality there around 6.5v so a total of 52v will the extra 2v really hurt it? or should a drop a battery out? and run 45.5v also i want to get the 540 with steppers from keling but is he stocked up with the old 540 or the newer ones? should i just jet it from gecko??
    and is this really the best fit motor to the drive? KL23H284-35-4B

which one

can you pls tell me witch one to get?? this link has the specs

http://www.ametherm.com/inrush-curre...-limiters.html

thanks chris