586,500 active members*
2,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > need help about Gibbs CAM software

need help about Gibbs CAM software

Hi,

I am a new user of Gibbs CAM software, I have two questions hope someone can help.

(1)I am looking for a book, so I can study it by myself.
    (2)I can't change the tool tip size,I tried it in windows XP, but it only changed the colour, not the size.

Thanks!

Firstly I don't think there are any books on gibbs training yet as far as I know. As for the tool tip problem can you elaborate more. Becasue if you are using a special tool "as not in a stock purchased profile" you will need to create your own. I'm not clear as to what your "tool tip size" is refering to.

When you purchase a seat of Gibbs you get a set of manuals, depending on which modules you have. If you lost the manuals you can buy a new set from your reseller. If you work for a shop and they won't let you take the manuals home to study, then again go to a reseller and see if they will sell you a copy of what you need.

You can download documentation in PDF form (GibbsOnline) that can get you started, but you will need to call Gibbs to obtain a password to access that area of the site.

You can't change the tooltip size in Gibbs. You can either turn it on or off and you can change the delay time.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman

You can't change the tooltip size in Gibbs. You can either turn it on or off and you can change the delay time.

It's been a few years, but can't you also modify the text in the baloons?
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes, one thing you can change are the contents of the text. But you can't change them from the Gibbs interface. The text found in the prompts, balloons & tool tips are in the tooltips.rsc, prompt.rsc & spprompt.rsc files located in the main install folder.

Looking for Gibbs Tutorail ?
    I found a good book ( ISBN: 1-58503-223-9)
    Look at www.schroff.com it's called GibbsCam Tutorial version 2000 & 2002
    (new version also available)

WHAT VERSION DO YOU HAVE?

I HAVE THE BOOK cncbobman TALKS ABOUT.
    I RATE IT OK.

"I can't change the tool tip size"

GIBBS 2000 AND 2002
    CLICK ON "TOOLS"
    DOUBLE CLICK "TOOL LIST"
    LATHE "TIP RAD." IS LOCATED ON TOP RIGHT HAND SIDE OF POPUP WINDOW.
    "LET THE LEAD FLY!"

Quote Originally Posted by cadman
    Yes, one thing you can change are the contents of the text. But you can't change them from the Gibbs interface. The text found in the prompts, balloons & tool tips are in the tooltips.rsc, prompt.rsc & spprompt.rsc files located in the main install folder.
    Dude ... you hack the balloons?

Tool Size

If I Recall Correctly...

When I test drove Virtual Gibbs in 1999, it had a feature where you could design your own tool shape.

Open a 2D window, and then vector the outline of a custom cutter.

Gibbs would then calculate all surface cutting based on that outline.

I have to say, the simulation mode in V.Gibbs was impressive. Other than the total lack of design tools, drag and drop, and any ability to scan in logos, it was all right.

Like putting powerful jet engines on a donkey cart. Without reins. Or a brake.

Too bad they couldn't go all the way with it. A decent design environment and drag and drop placement would have sold me on the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkirk3279
    <snip>
    ... and drag and drop placement would have sold me on the product.
    I'm curious, drag and drop of what? A CAD file into the app or for placement within a part?

Will.

Drag and Drop

Back when I tried Gibbs, you couldn't click on an object and drag it into position.

That may have changed, for all I know. Back then you had to select the object and then type in numerical coordinates for the move.

I got the tech support on the line and asked them why they didn't use D&D.

I pointed out that most CAD design packages use D&D.

You won't believe what their tech told me, but I'll tell you anyway.

The tech said that "If we put in drag and drop, the big CAD companies would come after us".

No lie.

That's the lamest comment I could imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkirk3279
    That's the lamest comment I could imagine.
    Agreed, that is beyond weak.

Truth is, GibbsCAM is not a design CAD app. It is not meant to be that way. Design CAD is meant to be more freeform, maximizing the users creativity. GibbsCAM CAD functions are aimed at manufacturing CAD and the manufacturing user. For that person "freeform design" is not the main purpose of CAD. The manufacturing engineer needs to make modifications and corrections to models as well as process models, fixture models, etc. so it can actually be cut.

All of this requires more precise data. If you are making a containment shape for a pocket it isn't practical to just lay down some a rectangle and drag it to some position. You want a shape of a precise size in a specific position so as to not violate the part or leave areas uncut. Here, freeform geometry doesn't cut the mustard.

The real reason GibbsCAM doesn't have drag-and-drop geometry is that isn't how the s/w works. I can't say for sure but implementing such a feature wouldn't be a monumental task but neither would it be trivial and its use would be minimal and contrary to perceived design needs.

Will.

I agree, my experience with other software is limited to a small understanding of Mastercam but I feel that I know Gibbs pretty well and they do not seem to be interested in being an all round "heinz 57" software. They want to focus on the CAM side of things.