586,103 active members*
3,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames1981 View Post
    I know this thread is old but, why would anybody recomend cutting 1" aluminum plate on a shear?
    Because it is FAST and chipless to boot. If you've ever watched a punch press, you will appreciate how much faster it can perforate sheet metal (and structural sections when the punches can reach) than drilling or even laser cutting. (Punching = shearing)

I'll concur that it would take a pretty hefty shear to cut 1" plate however. Might find one of these at a shipyard for example.

punching isnt shearing..... can i shear a hole? do they call a center pucnh a center shear? punching uses a punch and a die, shear uses 2 offset blades, wtf are you thinking..... many many shops PUNCH holes in thick plates for steel structures etc, however they do not shear plates thicker than half, theres way too much distortion on thick plate, they use track torches, cnc plasmas etc, nobody uses shears to cut plates to size that thick, especially aluminum, a 1" sheared aluminum plate would look like dog ****, and why would you tell this guy to look into purchasing a gigantic shear from a shipyard to economically cut a piece of plate in his garage?? Sure you could say... "well he could be running a business and need to cut a large volume of plate", well if that was the case then youd think they would allready know how to cut some aluminum plate with a $200 skillsaw or even a nice $3000 track saw and not need to spend $100,000 on a giant shear......

And ive watched punch presses for years and years, operated king and queen amadas, 1000r/1000xt/1200r strippets, ironworkers up the ying yang, mazak/mitsubishi/fadal,lvd/trumpf and currently run a new cincinatti fiber laser with the fastest cut speed in the world currently...... haha thats funning... punching is shearing.... hahahahahahahahahahaha

The only other issue with deep cuts using a circular saw is that it can kick like a mule, definately helps to have guides set on each side of the saw.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames1981 View Post
    punching isnt shearing..... can i shear a hole? do they call a center pucnh a center shear? punching uses a punch and a die, shear uses 2 offset blades, wtf are you thinking..... many many shops PUNCH holes in thick plates for steel structures etc, however they do not shear plates thicker than half, theres way too much distortion on thick plate, they use track torches, cnc plasmas etc, nobody uses shears to cut plates to size that thick, especially aluminum, a 1" sheared aluminum plate would look like dog ****, and why would you tell this guy to look into purchasing a gigantic shear from a shipyard to economically cut a piece of plate in his garage?? Sure you could say... "well he could be running a business and need to cut a large volume of plate", well if that was the case then youd think they would allready know how to cut some aluminum plate with a $200 skillsaw or even a nice $3000 track saw and not need to spend $100,000 on a giant shear......

And ive watched punch presses for years and years, operated king and queen amadas, 1000r/1000xt/1200r strippets, ironworkers up the ying yang, mazak/mitsubishi/fadal,lvd/trumpf and currently run a new cincinatti fiber laser with the fastest cut speed in the world currently...... haha thats funning... punching is shearing.... hahahahahahahahahahaha
    Yeah, punching and shearing are pretty much the same thing; no chips produced.

My, but you ARE a friendly one!

LOL! Shearing would be ridiculous!

6061 shear strength = 30 ksi
    Smallest width of plate OP is talking about = 42"
    Thickness = 1"
    Theoretical force needed to shear 42" width of 1" plate = 630 Tons!!!

That would be SOME shear!

Almost every large industrial area will have at least one of these type of saws. That is the way it should be done: Alro Processing Capabilities - Aluminum Plate Saw

Matt

This was a funny thread to read. Who is going to ease a 400# piece of aluminum onto a tablesaw? And whose tablesaw do you sacrifice to do it? I wouldn't stand on top of my saw and I only weight 200#.

Page 2 of 2 12