586,106 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question RS 232 connect

I have an 08' VF-3. I have been doing just fine with transfering programs via the usb port, however I would like to wire it to the pc to make data transfer/management easier. I have used dnc systems run on dos but had nothing to do with setting that up. I didn't buy the ethernet option, so I think I will be limited to one of the RS 232 ports. My ultimate goal is being able to use windows explorer to organize and manage my part program files, have the ability to send and recieve programs and parameters from the pc, run LARGE programs from the pc DNC, and output data from the touch probe to the pc.

Any suggestions?
    thanks

Connecting to Haas to computer

Hello,
    First you will need the correct cable, I would suggest a 24 pin to usb. With the ease of usb today this is the best. You can get the cables from dncsoftware.com or go on to ebay and find what you need. The cable you will need is a DB9F/DB25M RS232 Null Modem Cable. This will connect from the cnc to the computer. If you decide to use the usb option I spoke of you will also need a USB to RS232 Adapter DB9M. I dont know what software you use to write programs but most come with a communication software, I personally use Mastercam, communicates flawlessly.
    Anyway, after connecting the cables, go into your haas settings and make sure they are the same as the dnc software that you are using. If you need to know these settings let me know. You can also get a dnc software from the site that sells the cables.
    Just a note, I only paid about $15.00 a set for the cable and usb converter once I knew what I was looking for by getting them from ebay.

Hope this helps
    Bill

Do you have a Serial port on the PC you want to connect to?
    If you do, then all you need is a 'Null Modem' cable available at Radio Shack.
    If you are Solder savy, you can build your own. There is a schematic in the Haas manual showing the proper pin connections. Be sure to only coonect the shield ground at one end, not both. Post up if you dont find the page, I'll scan mine and post it.

232 help

if your any where near phoenix, i'll give it a shot,
    call hartmann, at 602-278-1765
    the port that you go online with is basicly just a 232 connection, as it only sends and recieves,,,good luck other wise,, hartmann

I will be using solid cam (integrated with inventor). The software sales guy left me with the impression that I would need to use a third party software for communications, transfers, etc.

Go up to OneCNC.com and download their free Windows based DNC program the link is http://www.onecnc.net/general/new_downloads.htm

No limits time or size, They use it for advertising which is fair for such a good product.

keep your serial cables as short as possible. If you have more than one machine you can use a switch box to easily load all the machines.

Eagle

contact Gordon at betatronics.com. He can set you up with a shielded optically isolated rs232 connection that is reasonably priced, all pieces included for a clean install, and very good to deal with. I have no financial interest in this company, just a satisfied customer.

R Ardoin

090311-1349 EST

Unfortunately our web site is not betatronics.com but rather www.beta-a2.com .