586,058 active members*
3,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Moving WIPS Probe system to another Mill?

Moving WIPS Probe system to another Mill?

Hey everyone,
    We've got two VF-2 Machines and one of them has the WIPS system in it. We would like to be able to move it to the other machine for a job we are doing, but I'm not sure if that is possible. I know the machine needs to have the macros installed and all that, but can't they just be copied from the one machine? I think they are just a file in the memory. Then we'd obviously need to get the settings right and stuff, but has anyone tried this? Is it possible?
    Thanks,
    -Taylor

Buy it for the other machine also. It pays for itself (imo.)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    Buy it for the other machine also. It pays for itself (imo.)
    Yeah, we'd like to, but for the time being we would like to try moving the probe to the other machine.
    -Taylor

It is a good question. I don't know all the issues you'd have in doing this. I know that the machine needs coordinate scaling/rotation as an option, and macros also, so if you don't have that you're not going to be able to get it to work.

My previous post should have also said that I think all the time wasted in switching this over (especially if you are doing it yourself) would cost so much, that you would be close to the 5k purchase cost.
    Tim

Call Haas sales and get a quote for an install of wips on your machine. Ask alot of questions reguarding all the options neccessary to make this work. If it is only a software related option you are lacking (macros, rotation,etc.) all you need is to buy the code for your machine to turn it on. Spindle orientation is required for probing (with the ability to input angle). If you already have the options required, I believe you could do this for much less than the cost of new. Later down the road you could buy a new probe and hardware as replacement parts (not a package) and put them where you stole the old one from. You should have a disk with all the o9### programs from marposs or renishaw. If not they can easily be transferred like normal programs from machine to machine. (If you cant see programs starting with 9000 on your machine , it is a setting you can change, I don't remember the setting number)
    Hope I can help

Coordinate rotation/Scaling = $1200
    Macros = $2300
    Spindle orientation = $800
    There may be something else that is Renishaw related in order to get the Renishaw quick codes to come up in the editor...

Total (if you don't have these options already) is $4300!!! + your valuable time wasted, and the other machine getting less valuable...

Marposs probing option - $4500
    Renishaw probing option - $5000

I just had them installed last year on a VF-3SS - Installation was 1000 bucks.

I would seriously consider this before you start to pillage the other machine.
    Tim

WIPS

I agree with WallyL7. These are all codes you would have to pay for through Haas. Probes pay for themselves very fast if they are used properly. Other than WIPS Renishaw VQCP is much more useful in my opinion!