586,075 active members*
3,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > help me confirm the power aspects of my controller

help me confirm the power aspects of my controller

It's been a while since I began building my solsylva 25x37 (iirc) and I'm getting back to the controller now.

Here's what I've got:
    Gecko G540
    3 nema 23 motors from Keling - kl23h284-35-4b
    computer w/ parallel
    various switches for e-stop and home/limit

I'm in need of a power supply now and this is where I need some help.
    • I'm thinking about getting the KL-350-48 power supply from Keling.
      Since this is a power supply not just a transformer, I'm guessing it has the smoothing capacitors already integrated into the package?
      Will I have problems with the generated current when decelerating? If so, what would I use to resolve that problem? A 48v power supply is pretty close to the 50v limit on the g540.

• If the Keling power supply isn't a good match - what is recommended? (I was about to buy a 35v transformer, a bridge rectifier, and a filter cap array from HubbardCNC. But I was so close to the rated limits of those items - getting 49vdc, with the hubbard board rated at 50v. Then I'm also right at the g540 limit and I wasn't sure about how the Hubbard board handles deceleration (is that back emf?) I decided not to go that route.)

• Does this Keling power supply have an alternate secondary which could be used to power relays for the spindle motor?

• I understand I should fuse my ac power into the power supply - what amp rating should I choose with this Keling power supply?

Thanks for any steering you can provide. I'm so close at this point it's making me itch. The router is nearly ready and once I've got a controller ready I can get it running and tuned.

That power supply will work fine. I don't think the back emf is too much of a problem with stepper motors. The gecko doesn't self destruct until over 60V so I don't think you would have a problem even if it went a bit above 50V for a really short time. This is a switching power supply so it does not have big capacitors like linear supplies. I am not sure how well switching supplies absorb back emf anyway. One advantage is that most power supplies like this have a pot to adjust the voltage up or down by several volts, so you could turn it down a bit to be safe.

You could build a circuit to cut in a resistor to burn off excess voltage but it is really not necessary at all for a project like this.

The Keling supply should work fine, however, I like linear supplies myself. I buy mine from www.toroid-transformer.com.

The keling supply does not have any other votlage output, just 48V.

The fuse should be sized 20-50% larger than the peak current draw for full load. I am guessing 3-4A. It will say on the supply how much AC current it draws.

I like linear supplies because they are capable of short period overloads. I think that switching supplies automatically limit the current at its rated amount. I am not sure how it will react if there were a short on the DC side. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in on that.

Good Luck
    Matt

Thanks Matt.

I'm unfamiliar with the overall differences and benefits/drawbacks between switching and linear power supplies but I'll look into it further.

What about the Hubbard board? (e-bay item #330245166324) I was planning on running that with a 35v torroid and a bridge rectifier - which should give me 49vdc. Will that be all that I need and will that work and still stay safely within the limits of my gecko?

Or from the antekinc.com (torroid-trainsformer.com) site - I could go with this power supply - the PS-5N47 which would give me 47v 11a. Can't find the price but it seems like it should be in the $110 range.

My preference is to purchase a power supply instead of create one from parts gathered from various sources, unless I learn that's a lousy idea.

Thanks again-
    Dan

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience with the power supply from AnTek Inc? Or other recommendations?

I just bought a 50V power supply to use with a G540, it was a PS-4N50 and cost was $104 with shipping. If you want to reduce the voltage a bit, you can go with a 4N44 instead. I haven't gotten it hooked up yet so I'm not sure where the voltage will sit. I think it will be around 50V with no load which means it will drop a couple volts at full load. You can always remove one or two turns of wire from the secondary on the transformer to reduce it a bit. I don't plan to do this though.

The Hubbard board is basically a kit form of the Antek supply. A transformer, rectifier and cap is all you need. It would work just fine too, you just have to put it all together.

As far as Antek goes, I have purchased close to 10 supplies from them so far and all have been great, no problems at all.

Matt

thanks Matt. I've e-mailed them, but I'll probably call them if I don't hear from them today to order.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Craig View Post
    Anyone else have any thoughts or experience with the power supply from AnTek Inc? Or other recommendations?
    There is no real need to use a regulated switching supply for servo/stepper supplies, besides, the switching supply is harder to fix if it packs it in.
    I usually buy the bare Toroid from Antek and put together my own, also on a toroid, it is easy to put on an overwind if you need that extra low current supply, 5v,12, or 24v etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

cool. thanks. I'm glad to know the power aspect is fairly straight forward and the toroid seems like a fairly flexible transformer.

John (the guy at Antek) normally takes a day or two to get back to me, but once I get a hold of him, he ships pretty quickly.

Matt

I've got a power supply from antek on it's way.

thanks again for the info.

just to add a bit of info to this thread - I did purchase a 47 or 48vdc power supply from Antek and it's working well. My control electronics are performing flawlessly thus far.

thanks again