586,094 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Larger Offsets for the 5T

hi, I new to this site but I have read several psts from guys horrified at the limited Offset capabilities of the 5T ,since I had the same nightmare ,i began searching for the fix ,it is right in the programmers manual ,Enable the Incremental Offset Option,so far i have done this on 3 different machines all with 5T's,,,a GN5 cadillac Lathe And two Ikegai chuckers FX25N and FX20N
    Parameter 05 (6th bit from the right set to "1" ) allows the input of an offset number less than 99999 ,but then using the keypad you can add to this any amount as long as its less than 99999 say 90000 + 90000 makes an offset of 180000 since i discovered this and some are having trouble with this I have experimented and it seems the control will store very large numbers,i ptu in 54.0000 and it stored it. (9.0000 5 times).I would love to hear that this helps some of the guys wanting to run this control.
    Peace
    Paul

More info on the offsets for 5T

Well I found a few moments to just experiment with the 5T and here is some new info.
    After enabling the Incremental offset fuction as described in the first post,the control will store large numbers ,bt there is a small glitch ,any amount more than 13.1070 will not be stored correctly after the control is turned off. Anything larger than this amount will be altered into a similar but not exact reverse value when the control is turned on again.13.108 will morph into -13.114 or something close. this is only going to be a problem when the control is started,if left on all day the input value will not change no matter the size.I put a small magnetic holder on the control with a note pad to record the offsets larger than 13.107.My offset value to get the rear tool to the center is 12.5000 so most of the time I have no issue but I wanted to run a boring bar in the rar urret position and that required an offset of -13.4140 hence the problem occured .I my case the minus offset morphed into a positive value and th machine just went into over travel away from the workpiece ,,,safe for me.so the plus and minus values of large offsets,could be a potential crash for someone else.
    Peace Paul