586,036 active members*
3,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > New to EMC2, New to Linux Trouble loading SIM files
Page 1 of 2 12

New to EMC2, New to Linux Trouble loading SIM files

Hello all (first post)

Having succeded loading Ubuntu Hardy Heron with EMC2 after several days of less than spectacular results, I am working my way around both the OS and the EMC application.

A trouble I am having is when trying to open a SIM file and selecting the option of making a copy so that changes can be made, the file display etc. starts to load up, but before much takes place, the mouse and keyboard freeze up ( well, I suppose the OS locks up, but how to know. (No input, no change) I have to Turn off the power to reset and rstart.

I've used the system monitor application, and have never seen swapfile activity displayed there, just a flat line along the bottom. (Symptom 1?) I have seen the processor indication maxed out with just the sys monitor application active.(symptom 2) Everything else "sleeping". That seems strange.

The entire install is from the LinuxCNC "packaged" live CD. All the other parts of the Ubuntu bundle seem to work fine. Except for the restarts, I see nothing in the /var/message listing. Not that I know what to look for.:withstupi

Can someone help a newb ?

Gateway E-4200 PIII 700MHz
    384 DRAM

Thanks in advance!

Cal

I'm not sure what the sim files are, there is a sim version of EMC2 that doesn't need a real time OS, but that is not included with the CD package.

But, the usual cause of the system locking up is having the BASE_THREAD setting in the xxx.ini file too low. This requires the CPU to be interrupted so often it can't get anything done. So, you might try increasing that value until the system is stable. 700 MHz is certainly a workable CPU, but is pretty slow for software generated steps. I use a 600 MHz CPU just fine with external hardware assist, but in that case there is no BASE_THREAD at all, and the SERVO_THREAD is 1,000,000 ns
    (1 ms). I think you will have to increase BASE_THREAD significantly to run the step generator on a 700 MHz machine.

The system monitor only sees the NON real time Linux activity, it never sees what is going on in the real time environment.

Swap file activity would indicate you have run out of physical memory, shouldn't be much of a problem in most cases.

Jon

Jon

Thanks for the reply

SIM files are described as "simulations" that do not require real hardware to be connected. something to get a preview with.
    I detect no action at the LPT port with th LED test modual inserted.

Last night after posting this question, I tried the SIM file "Axis-mm" again This is the one that locks up the OS.(yes, It locked up again ;-) Some of the other files seem to behave well. Like "Sim-mini".

Perhaps there is something specific with that files display type or....

I'll keep looking.

Cal

I think you need to join the EMC users list on SourceForge. Instructions for joining are on the linuxcnc.org web page. The real pros are much more easily found there. I know certain areas of EMC2 fairly well, and others I know little to nothing about.

First, a sim version of EMC is not SUPPOSED to move anything, so you shouldn't expect any activity on the parallel port. I don't know why a sim version of EMC would lock up a slow computer, as there is no real time part to hog the CPU. I think that the default stepper configs such as stepper_inch or stepper_mm might lock up a 700 MHz CPU, with the stepgen task running at a 50 us interval. I notice that sim_mm also has a BASE_PERIOD of 50 us, but don't know if the real time scheduler is even loaded when you run the sim version. You might try changing BASE_PERIOD to a larger value, maybe 100000 (100 us) and see if that helps.

Another possible trouble has to do with open-GL, the 3D rendering software that supports the Axis preview window. You should run the program "glxgears". If it runs OK, and can be dragged around the screen while running, you should be OK. If it doesn't run, crashes the system, or just covers the screen with thin black lines or other trash, then Open-GL is not working right, and Axis won't run right either.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Jon

Some of the other files seem to behave well. Like "Sim-mini".

Perhaps there is something specific with that files display type or....

Cal
    Yes, see last paragraph of my previous reply, I think that may be your problem. Axis uses open-GL, the mini interface doesn't. If glxgears also has problems, you need to address that before Axis will work right.

Jon

Jon

Thanks agin for your reply!

Both the Lists and IRC are on my "resource list"

I'll give your suggestions a try this evening

Jon

Just to let you know I'm trying

glxgears displays 300 to 1000 fps and drags around the desktop without a glitch!

Regards

Cal

Jon

Just to let you know I'm trying

glxgears displays 300 to 1000 fps and drags around the desktop without a glitch!

Regards

Cal
    OK, then. One theory down the drain, then. I have had Open-GL mess up the screen pretty badly, but never cause a complete hang. But, it has been one of the difficulties that people run into.

So, then, I think maybe looking at the BASE_PERIOD in the .ini files of the config that works, vs. the configs that lock up, might be instructive. (Still, if these sim versions really are the EMC sim scheme, they don't use real time at all, so they shouldn't care whatever you have in BASE_PERIOD. So, I'm still confused as to what is going on, here.)

Jon

Yuck ! Probably the most frustrating type of computer problem. Those brutal shutdowns will cause additional problems soon.

I've used the system monitor application, and have never seen swapfile activity displayed there, just a flat line along the bottom. (Symptom 1?)
    My machine has 512 ram and after some time in a normal session some swap is always in use.
    I have seen the processor indication maxed out with just the sys monitor application active.(symptom 2) Everything else "sleeping". That seems strange.
    Yes it does seem strange. Wrong even. You might find running the command "top" in a terminal more informative.

Can someone help a newb ?
    Maybe but not likely. Some scatter shot troubleshooting;
    Install all available updates (but don't accept any system UPGRADE)
    If you're using the fancy desktop effects (compiz) shut them off.
    Try running with nothing plugged into USB if possible.
    Look in System>Administration>Hardware Drivers. Sometimes proprietary drivers help, other times they're a problem (not very helpful I know)
    It could be a start-up option command is needed but not sure which one, if any.

As already mentioned, some frighteningly sharp people read the emc-users-mailing-list. The Ubuntu forums are also good, though not if this problem is truly emc specific.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

I tried installing 8.04 and had problems similiar to what you mention, and looking at your hardware specs I would suggest what worked for me.

I used the 6.06 version of Ubuntu, still the CNC brain dead install version.

All problems gone and the system is rock solid. As far as I know 8.04 is better suited to more modern faster PC's, while 6.06 is better for older PC's.

Another thing that I have read and only just tried is to add a video card and not use onboard video, I have not put it through any tests yet but the whole thing just seems a lot faster and I would expect faster pulse rates, but need to try that out before commenting any further...

Little more RAM wouldn't hurt either

Cheers.

Russell.

More disciplined

Last evening the emc program was asked to perform. And it did!

Lights blinked on the test module placed on the LPT port, and my small benchtop O-scope showed all sorts of activity on the pins. (not the 0-scope app. contained in emc) .

That's good!
    The tkemc display panel was used and arcspiral.gnc was used for this tsting.

Perhaps the more demanding graphics of the other display is the problem.

On the road to find out!

Cal

Russel

There is an ATI "Rage 128" video adapter in this system.

I hope that's good ;-)

Cal

Russel

There is an ATI "Rage 128" video adapter in this system.

I hope that's good ;-)

Cal
    Cal,

That is the video card that I used to solve the on board video related latency problems in my system.

Alan

Follow up for any interest

The files with display panel xemc,Tkemc and keystick open and run

the Axis GUI is perhaps too much.

Regrds

CalG

I think that is the video card I used as well

From what I have read the video card does not have to be best around...basic cards are fine.

If you have a spare Hard disk you could try 6.06, the install for Ubuntu is usually simple unless there is a hardware problem, so this would at least eliminate 8.04 as being the problem. I had a hard disk crash and it took me about 15 minutes to install and re-load my machines configuration files and I was up and running again...lucky I could get them off the old HDD before it died completely

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    That is the video card that I used to solve the on board video related latency problems in my system.
    Alan
    What driver are you using ? Also Hardy or Dapper ?
    Cal's machine really should be able to run Axis. I'm typing this on 8.04 using a lower spec machine than Cal. Actually almost identical except for a older ATI card.

Edit/ Silly me thought Rage 128 was 128 ram !! I see now it's an old card indeed. I'll take a closer look at the card in this old Dell. Setting it up for a friend atm.

Cal
    Does running the command
    Code:
    glxinfo
    in a terminal return errors ?

Assuming you haven't used that computer for target practice at this point.

No errors seen in the response to glxinfo

That I can see. Some of the Screen content below.

GLX version: 1.2
    GLX extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_swap_control,
    GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
    OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage 128 20051027 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSEI could post the screI could post the screen info, but.......is it helpful?en info, but.......is it helpful?
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 7.0.3-rc2
    OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,
    GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
    GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra,
    GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_convolution,
    GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_fog_coord,

Hmm, I was looking for an excuse to swap out the driver. Probably not a great thing to do through a forum anyway. There's a real risk of losing the GUI completely.

That machine should be able to run Axis. I'm looking at it right now with a 600 MHz PIII, the same ram, and a one generation older ATI card.

The user IRC might be a better place for this question than the mailing-list. Live help if you can catch it at the right time. Embedded client here;
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/4/8/lang,en/

Did Axis sim also fail to run using the live cd ? Asking mostly out of curiosity at this point.

Russel might be onto something suggesting 6.06. The hardware detection (or driver selection) is slightly different. Otoh maybe it's not a xserver problem at all, but it sure looks like one.

/var/log/Xorg-whatever holds some relevant info

Page 1 of 2 12