586,058 active members*
4,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Multiplier confusion

Below is a copy of a post I put at the end of my thread in the DIY Project log where it has had no replies - probably because it is in the wrong place.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...astpost&t=6840

Gerry,

I've just looked on the Campbell Designs site and added up the costs of both systems and there really is nothing in it. However, there is something you may be able to help me with. On the Rutex it has a step multiplier (with Gecko it is an extra) and I was wondering exactly how does this work? Does it multiply the steps from the software or does it multiply from the encoder? For example; if my software indicates 100 steps and I use the 10x multiplier, does my motor move 1000 steps or 1? In other words, does this improve the resolution of the system or detract from it?

Am I right in assuming this is not the same as stepper motor microstepping where one step is divided into many, smaller steps and that a servo motor can only be moved by whatever the resolution of the encoder is (x4 with quadrature)?

Many more questions to come.

Mike

I think it is like this: if the software indicates 100 steps, the motor moves 1000 steps (with 10x multiplier). So the resolution gets 10 times worse, but it allows you to move 10 times as fast with the same step rate. Also, since the drive itself still sees the full resolution of the encoder, the accuracy of the system is not worsened. So better to use a 2000 line encoder with 10x multiplier, than a 200 line encoder with 1x multiplier.

Arvid

Arvid,

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand now - as long as the software and computer can output the steps fast enough, I will not need the multiplier - it is only there for when you use slow PCs or low count encoders - Yes?

Mike