586,113 active members*
3,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Is there an electrician in the house

Is there an electrician in the house

Here is the problem, my solution, and the question that arises.

I just bought a new piece of machinery prewired for 220V. I could wire it down to 110, but that is a pain in the butt. I have only one 220V line in the basement right now, the one feeding the drier.

What do I need (and what traps and pitfalls are there to avoid) if I wanted to tap a line off of the existing 220V wire to feed the new machine. The machine and drier will never be running at the same time, so there is no issue there.

I've wired a ton of 110 lines in peoples houses for them, but never a 220. So I just not sure what kind of weirdness I should expect to expect to see once I start stripping back insulation.

Thanks,
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Does the dryer have a plug or is it hard wired in?

If no plug my solution would be to install a dryer socket and put a plug on the dryer. Then put the same type of plug on your piece of equipment. This way you cannot accidentally run both at the same time on the same circuit and pop a breaker.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hi Geof,

How you doing? The dryer is plugged (already has a socket installed). Your solution sounds good to me. I could of course just look over and see (and listen) to check that the drier isn't running (It's not a huge basement). I've also been reading the rewiring diagrams to convert to 110. Looks like it may be only 2 wirenuts.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Does the machine have its own fusing? And what is the power consumption because using the dryer plug there could be a 25a or 30 breaker behind it.
    It will draw double the current on 120v.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    Hi Geof,

How you doing? .......
    Pretty good thank you.

And I notice the 'house electrician' has poked his nose up so I will bow out.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

If you are going to be installing more machinery, and who isn't, take the time and run a dedicated circuit to the machine or to the work area.

The first time you are late for work and need to dry clothes while finishing up that last minute part, you will be thankful.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Hi Al and Mike,

Al, It's a bandsaw pulling 220/10A or 110/20A so the 30A breaker should be fine. No fusing on the saw. Taping into the 220 puts it on a different breaker than the lights and the dust collector.

Mike, Eventually I have to rewire the whole basement and that is when I plan to put in dedicated lines. Right how I'm running a 60A service which I plan to upgrade to 200A. But that will be next years tax return. Something I would try myself, but that pesky 220 line coming in from the street worries me (how to shut it off without calling up the electric company, not being a licensed electrician they may start asking questions I don't have the right answers for).

Steven

I think for the most of N.A., it is allowed to carry out electrical installation in your own residence, as long as the company is advised and they inspect it after completion.
    If you need to replace the size of service entry conductors, they will usually switch it off from the pole or distribution point for you.
    For advice, if you don't know a friendly electrician, some of the Home Depot's have ex/retired electricians working in the electrical supplies, that could steer you in the right direction.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Electrical work

I can't see much of a problem using a drop cord to temporarily power the saw and anything else from the dryer circuit as long as you are within the current capabilities of the circuit. Just remember safety first.

I have pretty much done all of my own electrical work except for the actual connection to the wire that comes from the pole. I even have a "book" to help with the tough problems.

The last time I did a service upgrade, my electrical friend, meaning licensed, did the street connection hot, where it attaches to the house, he just did one wire at a time standing on a fiberglass ladder. He cut the wires, and went out for the morning, we did all of the hard work and we called him at the end of the day, and he did the reconnection. Next day we called for the inspector and my buddy showed up when the inspector did to answer any questions.

I have never seen the power company turn power off just to do a service change, but then I don't see all that many.

When the wires from my house to the pole needed changing recently, the power company did it free of charge as I believe that they own the wires up to the point it is connected to your house.

It pays to have a licensed electrical friend or know somebody who does,
    He worked out real well when doing work for a customer as you can't do it as a home owner, but as long as he "supervised" it was all legal. But since he was just "supervising", he was a stickler for doing it right.
    I just paid him a small fee and saved a bunch of money, and learned a little in the process too.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Al, Actually heading off to home depot after I finish my tea.

Mike, I've talked to a few licensed folks at the company I used to work for. The town inspector is reputed to be extremely rigorous in his inspections. So when it does get completely redone it will be by a licensed electrician. But for now we'll do a temporary drop.

Thanks

Steven

. The erlectrica installation for 220V, is equal to the electrical system of 110V the difference is in the current consumption, in 220V the current is half that stops 110V for the same clear power.