586,111 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Mil Spec or Cannon plugs - is there an alternative?

Arrow Mil Spec or Cannon plugs - is there an alternative?

I am in the hunt for Mil Spec (Cannon) connectors or an alternative. Any ideas? The part numbers are a bit intimidating and I lack familiarity with these plugs. They also seem rather pricey!

This is the best site I have found so far - http://www.alvatek.com/cms/products

I have used the plastic Amp plugs in the past but for the stepper power wires I think I would prefer a metallic shell for shielding purposes - or would I be OK to run these wires through a plastic Amp connector with the cable shield through one of the pins? I am not sure of which way to go and looking for suggestions.

In a nut shell - I am running the motor power cables seperately through multi-pin connectors and the rest of the control wiring through a larger, plastic Amp connector. This is so that the controller may be used on more than one machine.

Any help/experience/ideas/sources are welcome!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

try Allied electronics.

www.alliedelec.com

I usually deal with Allied, Newark and/or Mosier. Allied's website kinda sucks unless you know the part number.....not too good for the fumbler that doesn't really know exactly what he's looking for or what it's called.

I guess the root of this thread is if there is an alternative or should I concern myself with the shield integrity? I know this is impossible to answer since you can't see the layout, environment, etc and I don't even know why I am asking. I guess I was hoping someone had a slick alternative that I haven't seen. I may just end up going through the plastic plugs and be done with it. They are cheaper and I know them pretty well.

Does anyone use plug connectors for motor wiring or does everyone go straight to the motor? Am I on my own here? ......wouldn't be the first time.

Scott

fischer connector
    http://www.fischerconnectors.com/home.htm

I use several differnt types. They are not cheap but a lot less than Mil conectors.

Aaron

I don't see anything wrong with using plastic connectors. That's what I'm doing with my system. I used Neutrik Powcons for power, I don't remember if they have more than 4 contacts though. I used the amp circular plastic connectors for the encoders. The shells of mil-spec connectors are often not connected to ground. Just make sure your shields are connected.

I bought some XLR connectors. Wanted 4 pole, but got so 5 pole's off Ebay for 1 euro each which I couldn't pass up.
    Regards,
    Mark

Try Action Electronics!
    http://www.action-electronics.com/
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I looked over the Fischer connectors and looked at Action Electronics Mil plug pricing - pretty similar but it's another vendor - how is their shipping time? Do they ship pretty quick?

I had not run across the Fischer stuff before - I think my Google searching passed them by due to my selected search terms - I was searching using Mil Spec and/or Cannon plugs/connectors. Thanks for the info!

I am going to hunt down the XLR connectors next before deciding. I have seen these on measuring instruments recently.....

Right now, I am leaning towards using the plastic connectors because of cost and convenience and because of unterhaus's comments - plus it was my initially chosen direction until I started thinking about the continuous shielding issue.

The Fischer stuff looks promising - it also looks nearly as costly as the Mil Spec plugs. I will contact them and hope for good lead and pricing. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again! I will follow up when I decide on a direction.

Scott

Don't mix connectors of different brands

You have to be careful mixing connectors of different brands as they might have slightly different pin sizes.
    We found out this on MS-4 connectors from Cannon and Amp
    Be sure to get the male and female connctor from the same brand.

Good luck

Oh - by the way - I ended up using the round, circular plastic connectors from AMP. - series 1.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/625/948.pdf

The number configurations are a bit tough at first, but pay attention and you can see it almost makes sense.

Scott

These are the one's I recommended in another previous post, I would also spring for the extraction tool!
    This comes in handy if you make errors, or any on equipment salvage.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Another update:

I elected to use 90 degree backshells for the cables leaving the side of the terminal box mounted to the mill. Of the five cables leaving this box, two of the backshells have already broken. The seating flange was pulled out of the back of the locking collar. I should have run the cables out of the bottom of the terminal box and gone with straight cable grips instead of the 90 degree backshells.

I am a bit disappointed that they broke so easily. I wasn't being rough with them and they failed - imagine what's going to happen when I do something violent - like bump them with a foxtail or something. The connections are still fine but at the moment, I have no real strain relief on two of the connectors.

I thought someone might find this info useful in the future - I would suggest avoiding the use of the 90 degree backshells when using the Amp Circular Plastic Connectors, series 1.

Scott

Try SOURIAU connectors and SOURIAU-INDUSTRIAL connectors