586,115 active members*
3,458 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > High speed toolpaths

High speed toolpaths

Are there toolpath options for Mastercam like this?

http://64.26.25.102/wms/High_Speed_V...pen_Pocket.wmv

Are there real benefits to this style path?

Quote Originally Posted by camtd View Post
    Are there toolpath options for Mastercam like this?

http://64.26.25.102/wms/High_Speed_V...pen_Pocket.wmv

Are there real benefits to this style path?

I have no idea if Mastercam has this feature but I can say very definitely there are advantages to this kind of toolpath. Wade your way through this thread and you will see why I say this.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73902
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Yes, Mastercam has high speed loops as a type of cutting path. I'm a nOOb when it comes to this stuff but these are the advantages as I understand them:

• The cutter engagement is more constant than more traditional cutter paths. There are no 'corners' where the cutter goes from 45 degrees of engagement to 135 degrees of engagement. If you think about the cutter's flex, suddenly hitting a 90 degree corner in a pocket will cause the load to go wayyyy up. That's going to twist and distort the endmill. At a bare minimum, that could create coining marks in the corner transitions. At worst, it could snap a cutter.
    • You generally have to program your pockets around the peak loads that the cutter experiences in the corners. Since there are no longer 'corners' in your path, you can program closer to the limits of the cutter (depth & radial engagement). That means more efficient material removal (if you apply it properly).
    • The machine isn't making any sudden axis changes. Because the movements are circular, the table isn't making sudden starts & stops at the end of linear pocket moves. The also helps to reduce coining marks on the part (caused by the machine bouncing slightly when the table has to come to a screeching halt at the end of a pass).

OK, that's my nOOb opinion on the matter. Is this more of a general machining question or are you shopping for Mastercam?
    Greg

Hi Camtd

Yes this is HSM at its best the type of machining is called Trochoidal machining/toolpath I don't no what Mastercam has but Gibbs sure has had it for many years as one of there many features, Tt is one of the fastest way to remove a lot of metal/plastic etc I use it when ever I can
    Mactec54

Try reading here for HSM in Mastercam.

http://www.mastercam.com/Products/Mill/Default.aspx:)
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    ....I'm a nOOb when it comes to this stuff but these are the advantages as I understand them:

[LIST][*]The cutter engagement is more constant than more traditional cutter paths. There are no 'corners' where the cutter goes from 45 degrees of engagement to 135 degrees of engagement....
    I think you are correct with the "no 'corners'" comment but I think a big advantage is exactly opposite to more constant cutter engagement. When machining steel at very high speeds the trochoidal tool path allows the cutter to leave the cut and cool down, which is what allows the very high feet per minute and chip loads possible with this approach.

This type of machining means I have to recant on my dogmatic statements in the past that when hand coding is possible it will probably be faster than a CAM program. When the material being machined is steel and trochoidal toolpathing can be applied a CAM program will probably run much faster than a hand coded program. (Aaaaargh!!!! do you realise how painful it is for me to admit this?)

Don't worry, Geof, your statements were true for the types of parts you were making. Your parts and fixtures are just getting more complex.

Yes, your comment about the cutter cooling down is another good one.

I've only used the trochoidal motion a couple of times. The problem is that the few times I've had the opportunity, the part was really too small to take advantage of it. The cutter was just wobbling around in a narrow pocket and there wasn't enough room to keep the cutter engagement constant.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Don't worry, Geof, your statements were true for the types of parts you were making. Your parts and fixtures are just getting more complex.

Yes, your comment about the cutter cooling down is another good one.

I've only used the trochoidal motion a couple of times. The problem is that the few times I've had the opportunity, the part was really too small to take advantage of it. The cutter was just wobbling around in a narrow pocket and there wasn't enough room to keep the cutter engagement constant.
    I hear that. We never get to have any fun unless we venture off to another shop.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

My parts are also nearly always aluminum where the advantages do not really apply.

There are some steel parts we do but they would probably fall into your category of the cutter wobbling around without enough room to do the proper thing.

I just find it fascinating how fast you can chew material away when things fall in the correct place.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    My parts are also nearly always aluminum where the advantages do not really apply.

There are some steel parts we do but they would probably fall into your category of the cutter wobbling around without enough room to do the proper thing.

I just find it fascinating how fast you can chew material away when things fall in the correct place.
    It is truly amazing what is being done today with advanced cutting tools and tool paths.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Mastercam has had this option in pocketing for years to there are the option to use this in many of the Mastercams 2D and even in the 3D paths.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I was thinking about this style - http://www.volumill.com/

The trochordial seems to have alot of excess movement.

Would the volumill style make the trochordial style obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by camtd View Post
    I was thinking about this style - http://www.volumill.com/

The trochordial seems to have alot of excess movement.

Would the volumill style make the trochordial style obsolete?
    Never heard of it and 2 Axis isn't enough for my personal applications.

It looks pretty good though.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

The guys from that put Volumill together are the ones that used to work for surfcam making the Volcity option for there high speed options. left surfcam and went on there own. Nice tools allot like HSM tool from Cimco systems
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    The guys from that put Volumill together are the ones that used to work for surfcam making the Volcity option for there high speed options. left surfcam and went on there own. Nice tools allot like HSM tool from Cimco systems
    That like I said before looks good. but does anyone know how it really performs as far as Features and UI?? I have been stuck in the past with bad software as everyone knows, so now I need to see before even considering any type of purchase.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Hi Camtd

The VoluMill what you are seeing is a Trochordial tool path & they have just tryed to simulate what most are/have been using for some time I tryed VoluMill back to back with 2 other software packages doing the same job same machine same speeds & feeds & they were slower than the 2 others I tryed them against
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Hi Camtd

The VoluMill what you are seeing is a Trochordial tool path & they have just tryed to simulate what most are/have been using for some time I tryed VoluMill back to back with 2 other software packages doing the same job same machine same speeds & feeds & they were slower than the 2 others I tryed them against
    A number of factors come into play when running the same job on different machines.

Temp, wear, age, location in the building like next to doors with a draft etc.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

what were your parameters in surfcam. could you post pic of your setting please

Quote Originally Posted by bala955 View Post
    what were your parameters in surfcam. could you post pic of your setting please
    I would say you need to post this question in the surfcam aera as this is about Volumill in Mastercam not Surfcam so the chance of getting what you want are slim to none. Sorry
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    I would say you need to post this question in the surfcam aera as this is about Volumill in Mastercam not Surfcam so the chance of getting what you want are slim to none. Sorry
    Not to mention this thread is nearing 3 years old from the last post!!!
    Tim