586,728 active members*
3,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What is the most complex cool part you have cnc machined on your benchtop mill?
Page 2 of 4 1234
    Here is the setup. It is really quite simple, but it gets the job done. I added a bungee to hold the router tight to one side, other wise it would easily flop around a little. With the small cutters that I use there really isn't much of an issue with the router wanting to over power the bungee.

As the setup goes I have an aluminum plate with a bunch of threaded holes, I put a little carpet tape on the surface, peel the backer off and bolt the work piece to it. Then I use the tape backer as a disposable feeler guage. turn on the coolant and let'r buck. I usually only use about four bits for most of the emblems that I do. On a good productive day I can turn out three sets of emblems, well cut sanded and polished anyways.

I don't have a Vette either... instead I have four kids and some tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boss-1.jpg   Boss-2.jpg   Boss-3.jpg   Boss-4.jpg  

Boss-5.jpg   Boss-6.jpg  

more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boss-7.jpg   Boss-8.jpg   Boss-9.jpg   Boss-10.jpg  

Boss-11.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by austin.mn View Post

I don't have a Vette either... instead I have four kids and some tools.
    And I bet you know you have the better end of that bargain. I also have 4 kids and they are my motivation.

Very nice work also.

Another thing that I learned long ago......

"Dreaming of things is often much better than having them"

On another note though.. I wouldn't even trade the troublemaker of the bunch for a new vette. Even the times when he is really being a pain in the @$$, which now that he is a teenager is getting to be more and more. Ahh, the joys.

Quote Originally Posted by SScnc View Post
    On a side question, when I click on a pic here on the zone it used to open up in the same window with a black shaded background, now it opens up a new tab. Did the forum change or did my account change somehow ?

Ah, I'm glad to see that it's not just me. It must be the forum, I've noticed that the photo gallery pics don't show up on the main page anymore either.

I hope it's fixed soon, I hate the new-window stuff.

Austin thanks for the process pics.....

Looks like you really have that mill figured out. Those emblems are just perfect looking and I really respect that you do not have a day job because of it. I hope to be there some day. I also have kids and no Vette. I do have a jeep I play with and some cool tools in the garage tho. We make our choices don't we.... I'm with you tho, My daughters love is worth a million corvettes...... peace man...

Quote Originally Posted by vlmarshall View Post
    I hope it's fixed soon, I hate the new-window stuff.
    Me too, it was perfect the way it was !

austin.mn, do you have a website that you sell your emblems from ? And can you please tell what tooling you use mostly ?

really nice work !

I don't have a website anymore. I used to, and I had a nice lineup of parts that I made for the fifth generation Corvettes. Here are some pictures of the stuff that I used to make.

Then one day a customer asked me to make him some custom emblems, which I did, and now its all that I do. Last summer I ran into a few issues with GM, apparently they didn't care for me putting there logos on the stuff I was making. So that was all she wrote for the website... Now I just deal with people emailing me and posting my stuff on the web for others to see and I am very careful not to make anything that may infringe on there trademarks.

I buy my bits from http://www.precisebits.com/

they have a pressed on collar that goes on the 1/8" bits to make them fit the router and still be concentric. I really recommend them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vette Under Hood 003.jpg   Vette Under Hood 004.jpg   Vette Under Hood 005.jpg   Vette Under Hood 010.jpg  

Vette Under Hood 011.jpg  

My First Emblem

I have just completed this project for a buddy's Race Car.

Sorry for the bad pics

Robert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1783.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	78286

Name:	PICT1794.JPG 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	78287

Name:	PICT1831.JPG 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	78288

Name:	PICT1834.JPG 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	78289

What are some of the specifics? Time, tools, software..

Looks very nice:cheers:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by austin.mn View Post
    What are some of the specifics? Time, tools, software..

Looks very nice:cheers:
    Thank You,
    I use a CNCed X2 and BOBCAD V23 PRO for creating a STL Model and the 3D toolpaths.I used a 1/16 ball end stepping over .005 for Finishing and 1/8 ball for roughing, the finishing tool path I used is called Equidistant.It took 2 hrs for the finish tool path and 1 hr for the rough at 10 ipm.

FYI:Here is a FREE Program (not shown below) that is incredible,it takes .bmp and turns them into STL models!!!( BMP BENDER ) Very very COOL.....
    Watch the tutorial video.....

http://www.twmessenger.com/index_files/Software.htm

Robert

Here are some BOBCAD screen shots....

Name:	Bob2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	78279

Name:	Bob1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	78280

Name:	Bob.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	78281

Name:	Bob3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	78283

Austin

Austin,
    Oh by the way that is some first class stuff!!!! :rainfro:

I heartily agree....

That is some nice stuff!! It simply amazes me what you guys can do with those X2 mills. That is some nice resolution and it does not look like you had to do much finsh work from the pictures. Very cool man!! peace

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    That is some nice stuff!! It simply amazes me what you guys can do with those X2 mills. That is some nice resolution and it does not look like you had to do much finsh work from the pictures. Very cool man!! peace
    Thanks Pete.....I just polished the emblem on a cloth wheel when i finished milling.Peace Out.....

Robert

I mill mostly wax for jewelry and sculptural pieces, this is pretty typical. It was milled with both 1/8" 2 flute ballnose and flat endmills, a .82mm ball nose end mill and a 12 degree .005" ballnose single lip conical cutter. These pics are straight off the mill. It's @ 3" tall and has a leg for the back to stand tripod style. It'll be cast in bronze.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sage-front-web.jpg   Sage-side-web.jpg   Sage-back-web.jpg  
    www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

Harry,

The detail in the dog's face is amazing! How did you draw that up?

Also, I'm assuming that this will be used in lost-wax casting?

-Caleb105-
    Harbor Freight X3, Keling 387inoz 23's, 640inoz 34, G203V's, Homebuilt 65V PSU, PMDX-122 BOB, NOOK XPR screws, NOOK SBN ballnuts, Shuttle Pro2, Mach3

Thanks!

Mostly using Freeform Modeling Plus, it's CAD software with a haptic arm so you can feel the piece as you're sculpting it. It feels like carving in clay or softer wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I mill mostly wax for jewelry and sculptural pieces, this is pretty typical. It was milled with both 1/8" 2 flute ballnose and flat endmills, a .82mm ball nose end mill and a 12 degree .005" ballnose single lip conical cutter. These pics are straight off the mill. It's @ 3" tall and has a leg for the back to stand tripod style. It'll be cast in bronze.
    That looks great!
    What do you cast your molds out of?

No molds on most of it, straight to investment casting. When I do make molds, I use various rubbers, vulcanized silicones and natural rubbers and RTV's.

Quote Originally Posted by rwestbr View Post
    Thank You,
    I use a CNCed X2 and BOBCAD V23 PRO for creating a STL Model and the 3D toolpaths.I used a 1/16 ball end stepping over .005
    Robert,

Nice work. What DOC did you use with the 1/16" ball end ?

Steve

Page 2 of 4 1234